• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Director of Football

GrecianInWales

With plenty of talk in the press and on fans forums about how the failure of the director of football positions at Spurs and Newcastle proved that the position didn't work within the English game, it got me thinking about Stevie P's position here at Exeter. So I did my weekly Soccerlens column on the topic - why Perryman is a great example of how it can work at a club:

http://soccerlens.com/the-director-of-football-how-to-get-it-right/13573/

I know SP has had a fair bit of stick on here over the years, and I know I don't always agree with everything he says, but, ultimately, I think he's really benefitted the club, especially:

1) in the early days post-relegation when he helped to stabilise the club
2) in transfer and other money dealings

Plus anybody who's sat near him in the OG can probably testify to just how passionate he is.

I'm sure Spurs fans would love to swop Comoli for Perryman right now ;)

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure Spurs fans would love to swop Comoli for Perryman right now ;)
No thank you. I don't think even Perryman could salvage anything out of the mess at White Hart Lane, and besides I wouldn't want to change the winning formula at City.

Great article by the way!! Is ITV quiet at the moment? :)

GrecianInWales

Thanks :) All the stuff I was working on, bar a couple of small things, finished last week so I've got a quiet few days. Until next week at least.

Spurs really are in a mess at the moment, aren't they, to the point where it's hard to see exactly how things can be changed around.

Don't think it's any coincidence at City that a bit of stability at manager/director of football level has gone hand in hand with a spell of success on the pitch.

tisdale 1

Resigned
very good points and a good read there. wonder how long to he starts getting abuse again. i think january when we start selling players he will be the first to get it in the neck on here.

hillview red

Suggest some folks may like to drop Steve Perryman a line when time to thank him for his efforts on behalf of Exeter City. It would help him realise that the great majority of fans value his contribution.
I believe we have been very privileged to have him at our club for so long - I'm sure many other clubs are quite envious. The players too benefit from his years of experience in the game. We will miss him when eventually he goes.
Incidentally I wrote to him at the end of last season and received a very nice handwritten reply.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
It always amuses me on Exeweb how when things are going badly it's all Perrymans fault as he is a 'puppet master' (despite the completely different tactics employed by the managers he has worked with) but when things go well he isn't mentioned. Until recently that is as he has received a lot of credit over transfer negotiations and rightly so. Maybe attitudes are changing but equally likely it is a case of those who don't like him are biding their time for the next opportunity to have a pop.

Either way well done for the article and thank you Mr Perryman! [y]

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What an appalling article, the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes is unbelievable - you'd never see a match report so error strewn ;)

But seriously, cracking read GiW, good stuff all round.

[y]

ajeffery3

Good read and you bring up some decent points. However the one thing is does show is how much work Perryman has done for this club, i still believe if it wasn't for him we would still in the Blue Sq and on the edge of becoming the next Halifax

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
In my view, if it hadn't been for Steve we'd have been relegated to the Conf two years earlier.

Red the Paper

Banned
In my view, if it hadn't been for Steve we'd have been relegated to the Conf two years earlier.
Maybe if we were relegated 2 years earlier Russell and Lewis would never have got involved. I blame Perryman.

;)