• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Egg Chasing: Please Explain

MikeB

Not being a devotee of the game of egg chasing, perhaps someone can explain ......

Why don't players simply have a go at a drop goal from all over the pitch as often as possible, as surely it must be easier to score that way lofting the egg over everyone than to try and beat 15 opposing players to get a try?

Why do players who score tries dive over the line when there are no opponents anywhere near them? It is easier to simply place the egg down surely?

Jim Shepherd

Mike, dropping a goal is not easy and there is very little time to line up a kick.
Akin to shooting from 30 yards in footy. How many actually end up on target, and how many go in? (I know there's a goalkeeper and all to consider.) There is also the possession aspect and, as a try and conversion score 7 and a drop goal only 3 there is an added incentive to score tries.

As for diving, I would imagne alot has to do with coaching. If you attempt to put the ball down there is a small chance of dropping it. If you hold it and dive and hit the floor there is no chance.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mike, dropping a goal is not easy...
As for diving, I would imagne alot has to do with coaching.
Yep, the drop-goal is something that often 'looks' easy, but seldom is, especially on a cut-up pitch during a game.

Not 100% sure, but I think the theatrical dive over the line began with an All Black, starting a trend. Bit like the Klinsmann 'dive'.

Grecian2K

Yep, the drop-goal is something that often 'looks' easy, but seldom is, especially on a cut-up pitch during a game.
I don't know? I mean Paul Buckle has been working on perfecting it for a season and a bit now...
....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf! :D

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I think its just a stupid game , on the way back from the gym yesterday i stopped and watched a local game of Rugby...a how boring is it.

Its so stop start , kick the ball into touch and throw it back in :S

Bizarre.

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
I don't know? I mean Paul Buckle has been working on perfecting it for a season and a bit now...
....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf! :D
And Sills on the diving :p

Poultice

Why don't players simply have a go at a drop goal from all over the pitch as often as possible?
I suspect the answer to your question may lie in the fact that in order to effect a drop kick one has to stand still, standing still with the ball in your hands on a rugby pitch can seriously effect your general health and well being.

One of the few things about t' game of Rugby League I should steal would be the one one point drop kick, I still wake in the middle of the night sweating as I relive that day in 1999, sat in the Stade de France, nursing the biggest hang over in history, as that Bok tw*t Janie De Beer booted over 15 points worth of the aforementioned, person !

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think its just a stupid game , on the way back from the gym yesterday i stopped and watched a local game of Rugby...a how boring is it.

Its so stop start , kick the ball into touch and throw it back in :S

Bizarre.
This is coming from someone who plays Cricket? Blimey. :D

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
At least that has a purpose , i struggle to see it with Rugby...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Eh? Same purpose as Football. And Cricket. And pretty much every other team sport that involves a ball/puck/shuttle - score more points than the oppo.

My Sarfer cousin who lives with my Mum asked pretty much the same thing of Football - she said about so much effort for so little reward.