• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How deep is our squad?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the Bury matchday thread, Oli posed a valid question about our squad, and I suspect he thinks it's not deep enough for a top seven push....(apologies to Oli if that's not the case)

I think it's interesting to go to the reserve games, and see the line-up as it gives an indication of the strength in depth. When you think that for the whole of Sept we didn;t have McAllister or Panther, I think at the moment, the squad number is a good size.

Thought?

Last edited:

logman

With January approaching there is every chance that it might get even stronger especially if a promotion place is within sight.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Things are good at the moment , id like to see a couple of pacey wingers for left and right midfield added to give us different options especially for when we go 4-4-2

Squad has good balance currently with a mixture of experience and young legs which is good for this division.

Everyone wants a 25 goal a season striker.

logman

Everyone wants a 25 goal a season striker.
And clubs in League2 do not buy them but produce them.

ECFC TOM

id like to see a couple of pacey wingers for left and right midfield added to give us different options especially for when we go 4-4-2

Totally agree with that.

Jim Shepherd

A good size for sure.

It makes me smile when I see our squad list in programmes (34 players) against for instance Bury who have 20. But take out the first year pros and Tis and we are at 20 players too.

I think there would be 2 concerns.
One, the cover we have in some areas, notably centre back but these appear to be being addressed with Murray on board.
Two, how we would cope with having to change more than one person at a time, e.g. couple of suspensions and an injury.

Yesterday showed one thing. That if we need to play a midfield with more defence and numbers in mind then we can. And, we even had our best chance in the 2nd half after going to a more defensive formation.
I don't think the lack of wingers is an immediate concern to many anymore.

grecIAN Harris

Im answer to the OP, I've heard Ryan Harley quote Wordsworth before and Logie has been known to quote Keats occasionally.:D

Last edited:

southamptongrecian

With January approaching there is every chance that it might get even stronger especially if a promotion place is within sight.
My worry is with January coming the squad could well be weakend, with some of our players moving on to bigger clubs.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Our squad is absolutely fine. Tis has set the players up in a way that at least half our squad can play more than one position very adeptly. For instance, we only have one right back, but Sercs can fill in. We now have three possible LB's if you count Edwards with Deano and Obersteller. Edwards can also play CB though he is most definitely a CM defensive. The midfield can change shape very easily with Stewart and Logie able to drop back and Sercs/Cozic to break up play. We have three strikers who cant get a game and Manny Panther to come back to give more options as well.

Not to mention we have some cash maybe (unless it is needed elsewhere) to bolster the squad if needed

We're fine as we are in my opinion

Antony Moxey

A bit of a shock I know, but I agree entirely with Dave Jenkins. Do we have cover for every position? Yes we do - any of the players who played yesterday can be replaced from within the squad if necessary. My only concern would be that of Jim Shepherd's - should we lose two or three then it might be a little more tricky, but how far do you go to ensure adequate cover? Look at the Chiefs for instance, is a squad of almost 50 really necessary (not to mention expensive!).