• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football & the Financial Crisis

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
With all the banks going tits up at the moment i was wondering how this might impact on the Premiersh*te. Liverpool, Man U to name but a few have backers in the US who seem to rely on their banks loaning them money and have got big debts to service.

Liverpool have delayed the building of their stadium because of what's happening and West Ham might be in trouble if the Icelandic bank goes down the pan. Could be a turbulent time for top flight

ECFC TOM

I hope it will be a turbulent time for the big 4, but I doubt it.

Lyme Grecian

The top teams in the premiership, have gorged themselves on cash
over the last 10/15 years, and they haven't given a sh*t about the
rest of the divisions.
I hope more than one goes under, i wont be shedding any tears.

LammieLammieLammie

Withg the Prem clubs collectively more than £3,000,000,000 in debt, it's bound to happen.

The Prem is like a global circus these days, and I think people will get to a stage where they think enough is enough.

Up the City.

GJW

I just wonder how much balls our FA has got if one of them (especially one of the bigger ones) does get into trouble. Will they penalise them appropriately?

ECFC TOM

I just wonder how much balls our FA has got if one of them (especially one of the bigger ones) does get into trouble. Will they penalise them appropriately?
Stupid question really. If Man United were in the sh*t the FA would probably just fine them £25000 or something.

Mackster

I do hope West Ham go into Administration as its the only way I can see Spurs getting out of trouble.

Anyone know how the US backers at Liverpool are going to refinance their loan in January as they seem the most obvious club who seem to have been hit by the credit crunch?

angelic upstart

Would I be correct in assuming that the Glazers own Manchester United thanks to a large amount of loans and, in turn, those loans and interest are firmly at the door of the football club itself?

newburygrecian

You would indeed. The only club with a long-term, fixed rate loan on its debts is, I believe, Arsenal, for the money they needed to build Ashburton Grove.

rogerc

West Ham will be an interesting watch, with an Islandic Chairman, with Islandic money and already on the wrong end of a guarantee as a result of the XL collapse.