• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

There's a pretty ground .....

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
near a City stream,
Where a load of fans own a football team
and they're in League Two - that's Exeter City
with ...
Gilly, Tully, Obersteller, Stansfield, Taylor, Logan and Moxey ee ee ee ee.

And the other players are 'Happy as Larry' with ...
Gilly, Tully, Obersteller, Stansfield, Taylor, Logan and Moxey ee ee ee ee.

Pete Martin (CTID)

You've got too much time on your hands Mike! ;)

Near a City stream? Do you know something I don't?

Also, could you have done that if we hadn't have signed Obersteller? :D

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Siince we're on Well Street, there must be some sort of underground water source ... aka a City stream :)

Antony Moxey

aka a City stream :)
Perhaps it's the hordes of fans 'streaming' through the turnstiles.

Brian Moore

The water that used to run through the underground passages came from springs near SJP so its close enough for me - looking forward to hearing you start this song up at the Grimsby game Mike!

Spoonz Red E

I was aware of the well source - although I like Ant's reasoning.

Oberstellar was indeed the key to this ditty. His nicely lofted corner in the second half on Saturday henceforth known as the Oberstellar Underdrive.

BOS

near a City stream,
Where a load of fans own a football team
and they're in League Two - that's Exeter City

(SNIP!)
Always good to see creativity at work, but (and this is a perennial problem with chant-posters!) WHAT IS THE TUNE?? It might be loud and clear in your head, but I'm re-reading the verse and nothing comes to mind...

(I reckon some day soon we'll be able to post little soundclips of ourselves singing our newly-minted chants: won't that be marvellous!
:) )

BOS

Pete Martin (CTID)

WHAT IS THE TUNE?? It might be loud and clear in your head, but I'm re-reading the verse and nothing comes to mind...
It's the 1954 hit novelty song called "Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea". It was written by Al Hoffman and D*ck Manning. The Four Lads had a big U.S. hit with the song. The best-known version in the United Kingdom was by Max Bygraves (well, who else?), also recorded in 1954.

You have to be old to remember it (sorry Mike!)

The full lyrics go:-

"There’s a tiny house (There's a tiny house)
By a tiny stream (By a tiny stream)
Where a lovely lass (Where a lovely lass)
Had a lovely dream (Had a lovely dream)
And the dream came true (And the dream came true)
Quite unexpectedly
In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea

She was out one day (She was out one day)
Where the tulips grow (Where the tulips grow)
When a handsome lad (When a handsome lad)
Stopped to say hello (Stopped to say hello)
And before she knew (And before she knew)
He kissed her tenderly

The happy pair were married one Sunday afternoon
They left the church and ran away to spend their honeymoon

In a tiny house (In a tiny house)
By a tiny stream (By a tiny stream)
Where the lovely lass (Where the lovely lass)
Had a lovely dream (Had a lovely dream)
And the last I heard (And the last I heard)
They still live happily
In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea"

David Treharne

Siince we're on Well Street, there must be some sort of underground water source ... aka a City stream :)
St Anne's Well is the stream source, just the other side of the Blackboy Tunnel. It used to supply all the water for the City Steam Laundry which was actually on Well Street until the mid 1970's when it was demolished and replaced by housing. There was also consideration given to extraction from it for SJP around 2003-2004 though quite what happened to those plans you'd have to ask Gurkha Boy.
There's also a fast disappearing clue in the name of The Lions Holt - the name of the station until it became St James Park, and also the name of the off license on the other side of the Well Street Bridge, now scheduled for possible demolition for....you guessed it,student accommodation!
Several of the houses in and around lower Victoria Street and South View Terrace also used to source their water from the springs right the way into the 20th century.
Here to be boring...........

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
St Anne's Well is the stream source, just the other side of the Blackboy Tunnel. It used to supply all the water for the City Steam Laundry which was actually on Well Street until the mid 1970's when it was demolished and replaced by housing. There was also consideration given to extraction from it for SJP around 2003-2004 though quite what happened to those plans you'd have to ask Gurkha Boy.
There's also a fast disappearing clue in the name of The Lions Holt - the name of the station until it became St James Park, and also the name of the off license on the other side of the Well Street Bridge, now scheduled for possible demolition for....you guessed it,student accommodation!
Several of the houses in and around lower Victoria Street and South View Terrace also used to source their water from the springs right the way into the 20th century.
Here to be boring...........
That was quite interesting, thank you.