• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sick chants

Grecian1987

I know there is already a thread on Sol Campbell, but I think this deserves a separate thread.

I've been looking up these chants that fans sometimes sing - some of them are well and truely sick. Whether it be about someone's mental state, the Munich air crash, Heysel, Hillsbrough etc.

As we are all aware, there was a big thing made recently about one ECFC 'fan' making racist noises at an away game. The club (rightfully) came down hard on this, and it was widely condemned, even by fans from different parts of the country.

This got me thinking - why do we not hear about these chants from the bigger sides as much, when they seem to happen almost every week? Is it covered up by the media because no one dares touch the Prem clubs? Or is it brushed aside by the clubs? If anything anywhere near as bad as the Sol Campbell chant reached the Big Bank, I personally would be outraged, as would I'm sure most of the region.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mackster

I know there is already a thread on Sol Campbell, but I think this deserves a separate thread.

I've been looking up these chants that fans sometimes sing - some of them are well and truely sick. Whether it be about someone's mental state, the Munich air crash, Heysel, Hillsbrough etc.

As we are all aware, there was a big thing made recently about one ECFC 'fan' making racist noises at an away game. The club (rightfully) came down hard on this, and it was widely condemned, even by fans from different parts of the country.

This got me thinking - why do we not hear about these chants from the bigger sides as much, when they seem to happen almost every week? Is it covered up by the media because no one dares touch the Prem clubs? Or is it brushed aside by the clubs? If anything anywhere near as bad as the Sol Campbell chant reached the Big Bank, I personally would be outraged, as would I'm sure most of the region.
Its been brushed aside because its been going on for so long. I remember when it was commonplace to make paper aeroplanes out of the progamme and throw them at the travelling Man Utd support some 20 years ago.

The Premier league is marketed as a shiny bling product, but under the facade, a lot of grounds are intimidating and without CCTV there would be quite a lot of incidents. However this "passion" comes across well for a TV audience.

I don't think the media are that interested, Beckham's new tattoo or who is roasting who sells more newspapers. And when they are shocked by something like the Campbell song, it just goes to show how sheltered they are from what really goes on.

I don't feel outraged by it, I think its just pathetic and immature and I pity those who get a kick from it. But lets not go over the top about it, these people who sing these songs should be mocked, not turned into terrace martyrs.