• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Comparison with Coopers side.

old and grey

IMO Coopers side was better than our present side, because they had two outstanding strikers in Neville and Rowbatham.Other than that, i believe this is the best "footballing" side i have ever seen at city --and that the potential to improve with the present set up is there, though it wasn't in 1990, i think we all knew that it was a one off season, as it proved to be.
So, although by a whisker our present side is second best, i don't think many would argue that it beats the other contenders -Jack edwards 64 side,Brian Godfreys cup side, and Alan Balls all out attacking xi.
I really think that by this time next season, we will be praising our best ever side, and thats a great prospect.So I must say i thought some of the negative things said on the game thread after yesterdays game about individual players was completely unwarranted, probably penned by people who arten't happy unless they are moaning!

Grecian_Harryj

Yeah some of the posts on the match day thread were being very negative all they did was shout at each other, but not knowing any team before 1994 i would have to say that this is the best team i have definitely seen him while i have been supporting the team

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
TC's promotion side had width with the likes of Brian McDermott, Clive Whitehead, Richard Dryden and a couple others... We havnt got any natural wingers in our side. We have converted players to play in that position.

tisdale 1

Resigned
TBH what is there to moan about we play some of the best football in the lower leagues, have a young confident that will only get better and have a management team that a most clubs would die for..I mean how many managers in this league would have money but save it all up and not spend a penny and bring the type of players tis has found us .

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Championship side wouldn't have been a 'one off' season had we managed to keep them altogether as was proof given by where Miller, Taylor, Hiley, Dryden and Vinnicombe went on to ply their trade. Bailey made progression as Rowbotham would have had injury not struck. We had a couple of wiley old stalwarts in key areas who would have needed replacing in time but had we managed to keep them together I'm sure we would have seen second tier football at the Park for the first time in our history.
This side, at the moment, has a long way to go. Jonesy doesn't hold a candle to King Kev. It's hard to try and mention Tully and Scotty in a comparative sentence. Matty Taylor is getting close to Shauno but isn't their yet. Scrat has plenty of time on his side. As a pairing they're good but not as good as Shauno and Jim Mac. Deano isn't as good as Vinnicombe either.
Edwards is comparable to Clive Whitehead but lacks his leadership skills IMO but then I don't think he is as destructive defensively as Danny Bailey. I'd have Bailey over Gill given the choice. The only thing this midfield has that that one didn't from the middle is creativity that Harley provides but then we used to tear teams apart from wide areas in a way that we can only dream of with the current set up due in no small part to Brian McDermotts ability. And if you can honestly look me in the eye and tell me that anyone of the current front six (Stewart included) could keep Neville and Rowbotham out the side, I'll eat mud for a week. I think they'd be hard pushed to keep Youngie out.
The one thing this side has, for the most part, is time on it's side to mature and improve. Some may, (Matt Taylor, Scrat and Harley spring to mind) but I don't think others will match their 89/90 counterparts.

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Championship side wouldn't have been a 'one off' season had we managed to keep them altogether as was proof given by where Miller, Taylor, Hiley, Dryden and Vinnicombe went on to ply their trade. Bailey made progression as Rowbotham would have had injury not struck. We had a couple of wiley old stalwarts in key areas who would have needed replacing in time but had we managed to keep them together I'm sure we would have seen second tier football at the Park for the first time in our history.
This side, at the moment, has a long way to go. Jonesy doesn't hold a candle to King Kev. It's hard to try and mention Tully and Scotty in a comparative sentence. Matty Taylor is getting close to Shauno but isn't their yet. Scrat has plenty of time on his side. As a pairing they're good but not as good as Shauno and Jim Mac. Deano isn't as good as Vinnicombe either.
Edwards is comparable to Clive Whitehead but lacks his leadership skills IMO but then I don't think he is as destructive defensively as Danny Bailey. I'd have Bailey over Gill given the choice. The only thing this midfield has that that one didn't from the middle is creativity that Harley provides but then we used to tear teams apart from wide areas in a way that we can only dream of with the current set up due in no small part to Brian McDermotts ability. And if you can honestly look me in the eye and tell me that anyone of the current front six (Stewart included) could keep Neville and Rowbotham out the side, I'll eat mud for a week. I think they'd be hard pushed to keep Youngie out.
The one thing this side has, for the most part, is time on it's side to mature and improve. Some may, (Matt Taylor, Scrat and Harley spring to mind) but I don't think others will match their 89/90 counterparts.
Agree with you on that one Harris.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
IMO Coopers side was better than our present side, because they had two outstanding strikers in Neville and Rowbatham.Other than that, i believe this is the best "footballing" side i have ever seen at city --and that the potential to improve with the present set up is there, though it wasn't in 1990, i think we all knew that it was a one off season, as it proved to be.
So, although by a whisker our present side is second best, i don't think many would argue that it beats the other contenders -Jack edwards 64 side,Brian Godfreys cup side, and Alan Balls all out attacking xi.
I really think that by this time next season, we will be praising our best ever side, and thats a great prospect.So I must say i thought some of the negative things said on the game thread after yesterdays game about individual players was completely unwarranted, probably penned by people who arten't happy unless they are moaning!
You, sir, have hit the nail on the head and I doth my cap to you. It's about time some on here opened their eyes and realised just how exciting our future looks.

a) we have no debt
b) we have talented individual players
c) we have a manager who is improving said talented players and getting them to play out of their skins as a team
d) with Tagg & Perryman overseeing everything we have the set-up to continue to produce good homegrown players, attract good young players from elsewhere and (if needed) appoint another fine manager so even if we lose players such as Friend or if Tis leaves we won't fall apart

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Also agree with this. The most positive part of the equation though is that we have Tisdale, who I think is maturing into the best manager we've ever had.

There have been debates on this issue on previous threads and it is difficult to compare past teams/players with now. I still have a sneaky feeling Saxton's team takes some beating. They had the grit of the 90's team and the footballing ability of todays team.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
The philosophy of Tis has been to bring in young players that he can develop to higher levels,so I think there is more to come from his team.Its not really possible to get an accurate comparison until the Tis era is over.

Hwow does the average age of the Cooper 89/90 team compare to this seasons team?

old and grey

I agree that only Harley Edwards and perhaps and perhaps Gill would have got into the 1990 team, but maybe Friend,woodwards Mackie and Billy Jones might have, and as in the future other teams are going to pay top whack for any of our players, because we are not desperate for money like we used to be, the future is really rosy.Could we be a championship team?? Possible.Will we be a division 1 team?? Without any shadow of doubt.