• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mind Games?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did anyone notice this story in the Echo and think it a bit odd?

Tis: Edwards is bound to become a marked man
Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 23:00
PAUL Tisdale expects opposition teams to start looking for a way to stifle veteran midfielder Rob Edwards.
Macclesfield manager Keith Alexander told Tisdale that he thought Edwards was the difference as City triumphed 4-1 at Moss Rose.
The former Bristol City and Blackpool utility man has been deployed in a defensive midfield role this season.
Edwards sits in front of the back four, allowing the likes of Matt Gill and Ryan Harley to bomb forward in search of goals.
And it is his defensive qualities that have shone out as he breaks up play and keeps things simple.

Tisdale fears that sides will start to try and find ways of blunting the threat of the 35-year-old over the coming months.
"On Saturday their manager thought that Rob Edwards was the difference. That was the one position they couldn't cope with," said City boss Tisdale.
"What is going to happen is that teams will start noticing that and come up with a plan to try and stop us.
"So that means we are going to have to be better. With Rob in that position we tend to pass the ball a bit more, but I would like us to pass the ball even more."
Why give an interview telling the world how important Edwards is to us? Is this Tisdale's first foray into the world of mind-games? Is he trying to get the Gills to push on and leave gaps at the back for us to exploit? ;)

Last edited:

David Treharne

Did anyone notice this story in the Echo and think it a bit odd?
Why give an interview telling the world how important Edwards is to us? Is this Tisdale's first foray into the world of mind-games? Is he trying to get the Gills to push on and leave gaps at the back for us to exploit? ;)
Er.. to the first part "No"

In answer to the second part of the question it's because The E&E has to fill its sports pages for 6 days of the week with Football and/or Rugby related stories. Frankly it's good to not have to read another "I'm sure I'm going to score a hatfull of goals" story from any one of our six strikers" or "I'm sure I can do a job for the guvnor" story from any one of the players who are looking to break into the side.
It's also a relief not to have to have to read two day old stories about the triumph (or otherwise) of the reserve team...and "oh I'm sorry we'd missed our print deadline, but we had to print it somewhere at sometime".
I think that the manager is possibly acknowledging a reality, rather then playing "mind games" and read what you will into the appearance of Manny Panther in the picture on the back page......

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
"So that means we are going to have to be better. With Rob in that position we tend to pass the ball a bit more, but I would like us to pass the ball even more."
The most important part of the whole interview - it's what Tis is all about

we need more than just passing, we need attacking passing, not just playing it around are defenders

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
The most important part of the whole interview - it's what Tis is all about
Exactly, according to Jamie Carraghers autobiography Benitez was markedly more 'always room for improvement' than any other manager he'd played under. Worked OK for Liverpool so far. Tis strikes me as the type of manager who also would watch the Macclesfield DVD for example and say 'Why didn't we win 4-0?'

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly, according to Jamie Carraghers autobiography Benitez was markedly more 'always room for improvement' than any other manager he'd played under. Worked OK for Liverpool so far. Tis strikes me as the type of manager who also would watch the Macclesfield DVD for example and say 'Why didn't we win 4-0?'
OMG, another 50 posts from PeteUSA on the way.