• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reuben Noble-Lazarus

edindevon

Reuben Noble-Lazarus came on a sub for Barnsley last night, becoming the youngest ever league footballer at the tender age of 15 years and 45 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7645562.stm

I'm sure his talent is not in dispute, but I was wondering what exewebbers thought about this. Should someone that young be allowed to play professional football? If Exeter had a prodigy of that age on the books, would you agree with putting him in the team? I also found this comment from Barnsley manager Simon Davey rather concerning.

"We've arranged with his school that we can get him out for two days a week so he can train with us."

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Besides, he could make the club a tidy sum in replica shirt lettering sales!

DevonSent

I was quite surpirised to read this story too.
Definelty agree with 'Good enough, old enough'. I went down to St Marys last night to see a very young Saints side (bar Kelvin Davis and Chris Perry, all the players were from the academy) outplay a Norwich side, who were made to look slow and lacking in passion.
However, it is alarming to see him being taken from school for 2 days a week. He must be in Year 10 in the run up to his GCSEs. People might argue that there is no need for qualifications as there is millions to be made from playing pro football but there are so many players that disappear off the radar without a trace.
15 years is very young to play pro football. It might say something about his talent but, to me, it speaks volumes about the lack of quality in Barnsely's squad.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a new thing, though. I was at school with Chris Plummer, who ended up leaving school before taking his GCSEs as his Football career was taking over his ability to study - even though it would be about another 4 years before he made QPR's first team.

If this guy is considered good enough for the first team already there is perhaps less risk. Besides, there are opportunities open to prospective players that didn't exist even as recently as when Plummer took the plunge to dedicate himself full-time to Footy.

ECFC TOM

I echo what Jason H said. Also if he finds the step up tough, then Barnsley can always put him back into the Under 18/19's.

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he'd be in year 11? Abliet the youngest in his year.

Lucky lad is all I can say.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reuben Noble-Lazarus came on a sub for Barnsley last night, becoming the youngest ever league footballer at the tender age of 15 years and 45 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7645562.stm

"We've arranged with his school that we can get him out for two days a week so he can train with us."
School, over long and overrated, good for socializing kids and giving the parents a break, but as for the rest. Get out amongst it and learn, grab some qualifications if and when needed, plenty of time.

Last edited:

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
He'll probably get severely injured in his next training session and not play for over a year, or something similar because of the surrounding hype.

However, I agree with the comment, "Good enough, old enough."

Last edited:

MikeB

I remember when I saw Peter Rutley play for City.