• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamie Mudge and City Old Boys Update

Saint James

Not being able to make it to the Moss Rose Slaughter on Saturday but still in need of a football fix I settled for a trip down memory lane to watch Dorchester and Newport County battle it out in the FA Cup 2nd Q Rd on Saturday. I say memory lane because as well as Jamie Mudge and City old boy Danny Clay there were a number of other ex 'non-league' opponents including Kevin Hill and Nick Crittendon for Dorchester and Ashley Vickers (D/R), as well as Oxford old boys Danny Rose and Rob Duffy (he of the glorious miss against Ricey when 1on1).

Regards the City Old Boys I was pleasantly surprised how much Mudgey has filled out physique wise. He was to me one of the better players on the pitch and had a hand in both Dorchester's goals. Comfortable in the step-up from Tivvy's league but for me not quite enough to warrant another look at. Regards Danny Clay I was very disappointed as he seems to have dropped into a comfort zone and was largely anonomous. Nick Crittendon - I've no idea why we were keen on him a few years back as he was rubbish! Final thoughts go to Rob Duffy who is sliding down the leagues at a rapid rate of knots - lazy and disinterested wouldn't even get close to what I saw out there and goes to show that talent without attitude is like fish without chips.

2-2 the score in a largely forgettable game.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about Danny Rose? On the few occasions I saw him play I thought he looked a decent prospect.

Saint James

What about Danny Rose? On the few occasions I saw him play I thought he looked a decent prospect.
Was named MOM and I was was surprised to see him at Conf South bottom of table level given he started out at Man U and showed quite some promise. Probably the only one worth a second look - however, would need to increase his workrate ten fold.

papillon

I very much doubt we would look at any of these players!

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I very much doubt we would look at any of these players!
I agree with you.

Probably the only one worth a second look - however, would need to increase his workrate ten fold.
Could his workrate be complimentary to level of football he is playing?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Crikey, how are the mighty fallen. Really surprised to see Duffy and Rose playing at that level. Still, as you say, perhaps it's about attitude.

Ebs

Talking of ex-city, I watched Chippenham's 4 -2 win over Truro in the FA Cup last night. Marcus Martin started in centre midfield for Truro alongside Andy Taylor, Barry McConnell was at right-back with Power and Bye on the bench. Not forgetting Sean McCarthy as manager!

Martin scored a (heavily) deflected 20 yard goal in extra time while Taylor and McConnell played pretty well. Taylor didnt seem head and shoulders above this level, which was a shame really.