• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How fortunes change in football

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
A year or so ago we transferred Dan Woodards and Billy Jones to Crewe. Crewe were then a Championship side and we were obviously in the Conference. Crewe were relegated last season and now sit in one of the relegation slots in division 1. They could they go down again, and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be promoted again.

Could Dan and Billy then be trasferred to a higher league club, i.e. us?!!

Yeovil are also in a similar position and we could swop places with them.

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, things can all change pretty quickly can't they? Not long back I had an email from the somewhat irksome bloke who runs Plymouth's London supporters' team, and it said something like: "I always enjoyed singing One Team in Devon, but find it odd to think that we'll never play you again". Hmmm...

I wonder what price you'd get on City playing Plymouth in the League by, say, 2012?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with your general point, but I'd have to pedantically point out that Crewe were at the lower reaches of League 1 when they took Woodards and Jones from us, so while we've gone up a league, they've gone down about 3 places.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, things can all change pretty quickly can't they? Not long back I had an email from the somewhat irksome bloke who runs Plymouth's London supporters' team, and it said something like: "I always enjoyed singing One Team in Devon, but find it odd to think that we'll never play you again". Hmmm...

I wonder what price you'd get on City playing Plymouth in the League by, say, 2012?
Was that who I think it was? ;)

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with your general point, but I'd have to pedantically point out that Crewe were at the lower reaches of League 1 when they took Woodards and Jones from us, so while we've gone up a league, they've gone down about 3 places.
Was going to say I thought that too....

Last edited:

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th

Still on course; for taking 6 points off the Argiggle; season 2009/10

Crewe were League 1 last season; it was season before they got relegated from CCC

Last edited:

ecfc2000

I don't remember Crewe being in the Championship when we sold them Jones and Woodards. I'm sure they were LG1. Corrent me if i'm wrong.

**I will ONLY accept hard eveidence to admit to making a mistake**

ecfc2000

Still on course; for taking 6 points off the Argiggle; season 2009/10

Crewe were League 1 last season; it was season before they got relegated from CCC
Ah, I should learn to read first before posting!

Last edited:

flakey pasty

It annoyed the hell out of me when we were in the BSC when people on these boards used to say that Gargoyle weren't our rivals anymore because there were so many leagues ahead and that we'd never play them in the league again.
We WILL play them in the league again.
As the OP says, things change dramatically in football.
A lot of people will remember us in the old divi 4 when Gargoyle were flying high in the old divi 2.
A few seasons later we were in the same league (and beating them).

DevonSent

Hypothetically, if we were to buy Woodards back and he had a 20% sell on clause, does that mean we would get a 20% discount from the asking price?