• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Choosing a good 6th form college - advice please

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
In my time it was simple. I went to Exeter 6th Form and Technical College. No choice.

However, we are close to at least 4 6th forms. And the open evenings are coming up. 3 of them have good reputations, and the other is a bit like Exeter - mixed bag.

What should I be looking for? Just looking the academic record I don't think is enough. But how do you tell, for example, that the pastoral care is good enough? What other markers should we be looking at?

Ideas much appreciated.

BTW. For her infants school (how time flies!) the school we chose, promptly became a failing school in the eyes of Ofsted, looked at the other local infants and couldn't tell the difference. Kept her in the supposedly failing one, where Hampshire pumped money and other resources into it - we made the right choice)

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do you have to go to open evenings throughout her time there? If so, then how hot are her teachers....

;)

PS - Don't mention this particular selection criteria to Mrs Hants, it won't wash unless she's got a thing for the rugby playing PE teacher

:D

GJW

All children should be sent to the workhouse and eat gruel, or alternatively they can go into employment with Ant Moxey.

What's all this about sixth form? Get them out earning a crust and paying you lodge so you can retire early.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do you have to go to open evenings throughout her time there? If so, then how hot are her teachers....

;)

PS - Don't mention this particular selection criteria to Mrs Hants, it won't wash unless she's got a thing for the rugby playing PE teacher

:D
One of the Surrey ones then, Farnham or Guildford. Perhaps I should invite Ian Mancey to one of the evening!

Antony Moxey

Wise words GJW, although this working with me malarkey - are they legal at that age...

:$

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All children should be sent to the workhouse and eat gruel, or alternatively they can go into employment with Ant Moxey.

What's all this about sixth form? Get them out earning a crust and paying you lodge so you can retire early.
She has potential. She will be looking after me in the fashion I would like to become accustomed to, in the future.

GJW

She has potential. She will be looking after me in the fashion I would like to become accustomed to, in the future.
Fair enough. As long as there is a reasonable payback. Don't forget, if the potential isn't coming through then down to the workhouse.

GJW

Wise words GJW, although this working with me malarkey - are they legal at that age...

:$
Not sure, suggest you un-bolt cellar door, light a candle, go down the creaky wooden steps and ask you workforce .................. and tell them to leave the rats alone, they're not for eating.

Antony Moxey

Right you are. I'm seeing Sums in the morning so shall report back.

Saint James

In my time it was simple. I went to Exeter 6th Form and Technical College. No choice.

However, we are close to at least 4 6th forms. And the open evenings are coming up. 3 of them have good reputations, and the other is a bit like Exeter - mixed bag.

What should I be looking for? Just looking the academic record I don't think is enough. But how do you tell, for example, that the pastoral care is good enough? What other markers should we be looking at?

Ideas much appreciated.
Hants, talk to your local Connexions service as they will provide you with independent and impartial advice and information with regard to FE colleges in your area.