• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rising cost of supporting

Jim Shepherd

From yesterday's Guardian

Certainly for me, without a bit of care in spending, the £106 isn't far off the mark. This season train fares to most places start at about £35 + £20 to get in. That's a big chunk before any ancillary expenses. Still, everything else will go first before I stop following City away.

***Looks forward to Barnet away***

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
From yesterday's Guardian

Certainly for me, without a bit of care in spending, the £106 isn't far off the mark. This season train fares to most places start at about £35 + £20 to get in. That's a big chunk before any ancillary expenses. Still, everything else will go first before I stop following City away.

***Looks forward to Barnet away***
Surprised there was no mention of ECFC. Won't we clock up the highest number of miles over the season?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't reckon I spend anywhere near £106 on a matchday, home or away. I'd imagine it averages at a third of that at most, and that's including when the kids are with me.

MikeB

As far as my own football watching is concerned, not really noticed too much difference this season to be honest.

Most I have spent on a train fare so far this season will be this coming Saturday - advance return to Carlisle £12. Then share of petrol from there to Kirkcudbright - no more than £4 I would think.

Most I have paid for admission was at Morecambe £13. Least - always a freebie at Lancaster! But lowest I have actually paid is £4 for an FA Vase game at Penrith last Saturday.

Most expensive programme so far - £3 at Morecambe, but more often than not they are between £1 and £2.

Rarely eat out when off to footy, mainly because I am away form home for a relatively short time (only a few hours - at least 12 hours this Saturday though). I have cut right back on the pie, peas and gravy this season - most paid £1.50p. But I do visit a hostelry for a pre-match pint if I have time to do so.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised there was no mention of ECFC. Won't we clock up the highest number of miles over the season?
In our division we do, but not overall. Either Carlisle, Plym**th or Barrow have that honour, I believe.

Poultice

570 miles on 65 quids worth of fuel ? Must have been downhil all the way.

Shirley they should have taken account of the fact that footy fans tend to travel en masse, see Heathy Bus et al.

There was a thread in this vein earlier this year and I think most people accepted that the massive rise in fuel costs, when added to those in general energy and living costs, would make it harder to attend games, fortunately the novelty of League footy has caused our crowds to hold up well despite there being a general decline in attendences ( my impression drawn from a geekish interest in the subject ).

The bigger encumberence for me has been the lack of midweek away fixtures, I have spent more money following Maidstone United this season, oh how I miss the Conference.

tisdale 1

Resigned
Most expensive programme so far - £3 at Morecambe, but more often than not they are between £1 and £2.
As a fellow programme editor dont they give you one for free?:)

MikeB

As a fellow programme editor dont they give you one for free?:)
I wish! No, seriously I don't mind paying for the programmes. I even pay for one at Lancaster City where I have a written full page article for it each match. Mind, I do get free admission and an open invite into the boardroom.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Mike your still living in the 70's i love it :D

MikeB

Mike your still living in the 70's i love it :D
I wish I was, as the cost of watching football would be even cheaper!