• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

latest fan owned news

politico

This week I have added the attendance figures, and Brentford Town to the list as they are also a fan owned club. Games played Saturday 20th September.
Fan owned clubs in bold-compiled by the Affordable Football Alliance

Stockport County 1--Swindon Town 1
now 10th in CC div 1.. Att 5536

Brentford Town 1-Lincoln City 1
now 7th in CC Div 2.. Att 4557

Exeter City 2 .. Notts County 2
ECFC now 13th and NCFC 17th Att 4341

Hayes & Yeading Utd ..2 AFC Wimbledon 1
Now 3rd in Blue Square South Att 1526

Newport County 0 St Albans 1
20th in BSqS att 886

Gateshead 1..AFC Telford..1
7th in BSqN .. att 413

FC United 0 Worksop Town 0
17th in Northern Prem --Att 2033

FC Halifax town 7 vs. Salford City 1
11th in Unibond North att 1021

Cambridge City 5 Bashley 0
9th in british Gas att 297

Enfield Town 1 Chatham Town 3
18th in Rymans North att 203

You can find full information, match reports etc
google Affordable Football Alliance

Last edited:

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Since when has Brentford been known as Brentford Town.....I dont think so somehow! :S

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mind you, we were Exeter United once wernt we? :-O

flakey pasty

I believe Brentford (Town!) have some very big benefactors on their trust.
I assume that we don't.
Am I correct in thinking this?

Jim Shepherd

I believe that Greg Dyke is on the Club Board as a rep of the Supporters Trust

flakey pasty

This is what made me think, Jim.
Brentford is my local club and I know GD (and others) are major investors. That is why I've always thought that we were a genuine community club with a very wide ownership, and they were not.
There again I might be completely wrong.

Jim Shepherd

This is what made me think, Jim.
Brentford is my local club and I know GD (and others) are major investors. That is why I've always thought that we were a genuine community club with a very wide ownership, and they were not.
There again I might be completely wrong.
All about them here

flakey pasty

Thanks. Interesting. It seems that their trust owns just 60% of the shares.

David Treharne

What Brentford do have is a small group of very rich (or in a couple of cases super-rich)supporters who have been prepared to sponsor and support deals that the Club want to undertake. When they wanted to buy land from Network rail they raised the required millions in less than half an hour - reputedly with guarantees from just four supporters. When I went to the Independent Football Commission Conference at Darlington in 2005 Brian Burgess from the Bees Trust said that the monthly contribution to the Club at that time was £10k a month, and that since the Club had been Trust owned it had moved back into break even on the trading performance. They reportedly had 1200 members at that time. Mind you, the words that 'lurked' throughout his presentation were "wider business community" and he wasn't too specific about their involvement.
If this were a topic that you wanted further information about it's probabaly something that I could get when I attend the Supporters Direct Conference and AGM on 16th October.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Brentford's Trust (and by extension its club Board) does have a number of wealthy backers on board. This came to the fore a couple of years back when Brentford were in a pretty bad way mainly with the problems over securing their ground back from Ron Noades (who like so many other Chairmen sold the club but kept the ground).

One major problem has actually been that the running of the club was done very poorly, and to a large extent continues to be run badly. Finances have been misallocated, they ran up a lot of debt giving Martin Allen a promotion-chasing side. Certainly my insider chum there has been driven to despair at some of the decision-making.

Key to many of the issues there has been the ground relocation. It looks like a nearby (VERY nearby!) site is now, almost by default, the chosen option - with Brentford having previously considered Feltham Arenas (the first ground ever in England to use an artificial pitch) and the site of Western International Market, amongst others.