• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Putting the record straight, Matchday Programme

Cheggers

Thought I would put the record straight.
I was asked recently to complete the "what's on your ipod"
page in the Grecian matchday magazine. I duly obliged but was surprised
to see alot of the answers had been edited to a degree that in my opinion
it did not actually give a true account of my answers.
So here are my actual replies to the questions asked.
It was not my intention to offend anyone and if you are then I apologise.

‘What’s on your iPod?’ and other vital questions……

Your name?
Cheggers (with an “e” not “a”)

Your job/role at ECFC?
Club Photographer, Commercial Board Member and City Fan.

What were you doing before you joined City? (or what’s the day job?)
Photographing matches involving Tiverton Town, Willand Rovers.
Day job, I have worked the past twenty odd years as a Manager for Royal Mail at the Mail Centre Exeter.

Do you look out for any other team’s results? (and if so, why?)
Tiverton Town, still have very fond memories of supporting Tivvy for many years, including three trips to the old Wembley. They have a great set of supporters and deserve better at the moment.
Now for the controversial ones:
Manchester Utd. (Armchair fan, only been to Old Trafford once).
Torquay Utd, had a great working relationship with the ex City players and still in contact with some of them.
Always interested in any teams that have ex-city players, including Plymouth and Jamie.

Your best-ever City-related moment?
Being handed the “No1 Photographers” bib at Wembley and being invited up to the Royal Box to take the trophy presentation pics.
That was followed up, by walking down the steps behind Tis and John Yems shaking everyone’s hands.
Couldn’t resist it, still waiting to see Stuart James’s video of me making a prat of myself. To be honest couldn’t care, I was on cloud nine!!!
Just wanted to add a category of my own:- Your worst-ever City-related moment?
This has to be post final whistle at last year’s playoff final against Morecambe. People commented on seeing this sad lonely figure with his camera bag walking along the sideline towards the tunnel. My chins were dragging along the ground.
Although I felt bad, that was nothing to how the players felt, I especially felt for poor Andy Taylor, not only did he go through the disappointment of being on the losing side, he also spent an hour in the medical room trying to pass water for a mandatory drugs test. Apparently he just couldn’t go!!!

Your favourite City song or chant?
To be honest, don’t think we have one, very disappointing on this front.
I do cringe every time I hear “Stand up if you hate Argyle”. Although I did laugh the first time I heard and saw “take your shoe off, if you hate Argyle”. Got some great pics of that!!!

Any football-related superstitions?
Not really, I tend to have a regular routine match day though.
I do have a favourite pair of underpants but that’s got nothing to do with football. A silvery shiny pair, a present from a group of ladies!!!

It’s an away trip to Hartlepool; choose any four people to share your car and tell us why…
Driver:- Lewis Hamilton, just to get there in half the time ( Sorry Matt ).
Navigator:- Anyone, because everyone so far this Season, has been rubbish.
Passenger 1:- Prime Minister, Gordon Brown. I need to ask him what the hell he thinks he’s doing to
our country and if not satisfied with his answers, I’ll ask Lewis to put his foot down whilst I open the door and push him out.

Passenger 2:- Nigella Lawson, because apart from the Maynards Wine Gums, the food on the trips up country so far have been rubbish. Secondly if you’re going to be sat next to someone for four or five hours they ought to be something worth staying awake for. Sorry Kirky but you just don’t do it for me.

It’s our round – what are you having?

That’s easy, St Austell’s Tribute Ale. Hooked after spending all afternoon at the St Austell brewery last year on the pre- season Cornish Tour, sampling their finest.

(Message for Danny Crabb, that’s got to be worth a free barrel!!!)

Ever had a notable encounter with a ‘celebrity’? (If so, who, when, and what happened?)

Yep and very proud of this one….

Had sex with Kelly Brook in the back of my car. It lasted for hours and she said I was the best ever.
It was last night and hopefully we will do it all again tonight.

The first record you ever bought? (or downloaded, depending on your age!)

The first 45 bought was “Killer Queen” by Queen.

Your favourite book when you were a child?
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Spent months after reading, in wardrobes trying to find that bloody door!!!

Your favourite Devon beach?
Saunton Sands. You will always find a spot somewhere, it’s so long.

And finally – what is on your iPod???? [give us selected highlights!]

I have the 8gb version so there are literally thousands.
Varies from Classical to Heavy Rock.
Recent additions include:-

Billy Joel – Greatest Hits
Eurythmics – Greatest Hits
Adele
Cascada

Plus a very interesting and educational media clip of certain young lady by the name of Heather Brook!! :)

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
:D

Was waiting to see your answers before I submitted my form.

:D:D

MikeB

it did not actually give a true account of my answers. (quote)

Cheggers, if I had allowed the comments about Kelly Brook and Gordon Bown to have appeared in the matchday programme, I would today no longer be editor! I had to use my discretion (alarm bells rang as soon as I read it, much as I had no objections at all) and allow for the fact that there would be kids reading it, as well as people with strong political views who would object as well.

That's one of the things you have to do as editor. Thankfully very, very rarely. Good answers though.

Cheggers

it did not actually give a true account of my answers. (quote)

Cheggers, if I had allowed the comments about Kelly Brook and Gordon Bown to have appeared in the matchday programme, I would today no longer be editor! I had to use my discretion (alarm bells rang as soon as I read it, much as I had no objections at all) and allow for the fact that there would be kids reading it, as well as people with strong political views who would object as well.

That's one of the things you have to do as editor. Thankfully very, very rarely. Good answers though.

But you must agree, by omitting my comments, the reply made me out to be a supporter of Gordon Brown, which I am not. "as well as people with strong political views who would object as well". Is that not why I have???? Double standards.
Sometimes as an Editor you have to go with it, that's what sells newspapers, magazines etc. Go on Mike you know you want to. You said yourself "Good answers though". So why not, be controversial for a change, might even boost sales!!!

Swanaldo

By omitting my comments, the reply made me out to be a supporter of Gordon Brown.
That was certainly the impression I got, reading the programme.

Surely editing that completely inverts the view of the interviewee is editing of the worst kind....?

MikeB

That was certainly the impression I got, reading the programme.

Surely editing that completely inverts the view of the interviewee is editing of the worst kind....?
I hate editing anything, but needs must some times to follow the club' s line that it is an official publication. So it's middle ground, whether I like it or not.

Spoonz Red E

For reasons of space, Cheggers, I've had to re-edit your contribution by cutting some sections. However, I've not added anything so it should still be true to your submission.

;)

Your name?
egg

Your job/role at ECFC?
hot Boar

What were you doing before you joined City? (or what’s the day job?)
Photographing in on and over.
Day job, odd ears Man.

Do you look out for any other team’s results? (and if so, why?)
iver Town, Wembley.
Now for the controversial ones:
chester.
wo king
Always interested in mouth and Jam.

Your best-ever City-related moment?
the bib at Wembley.
John Yems shaking.
waiting to see a prat be loud!!!

Just wanted to add a category of my own:- st-eve related moment?
This has to be post More. comment on the side. My chins were round.
Although I spent an hour in the room trying to pass drugs Apparently!

Your favourite City song or chant?
don’t cringe
“Stand up you hat. laugh and take your shoe off”. Got some great pics of that!!!

Any football-related superstitions?
Not really, I tend to have a regular tin though.
I do have a silvery shiny pair, a present from group ies!!!

It’s an away trip to Hartlepool; choose any four people to share your car and tell us why…
Driver:- Lewis, just to get tim.
Navigator:- Anyone, because every far t has been rubbish.
Passenger 1:- mister God. I need to ask him what hell he thinks he’s satisfied with.
Passenger 2:- Nigel Lawson, apart from the Wine, four or five ought to do it for me.

It’s our round – what are you having?
That’s easy, Ale. all the brewery. (Message for Danny Crabb, that’s got to be a free bar!!!)

Ever had a notable encounter with a ‘celebrity’? (If so, who, when, and what happened?)
Yep and very proud of this one….

s oo t y.

The first record you ever bought? (or downloaded, depending on your age!)The first 45 bought was “Kil ee”.

Your favourite book when you were a child?on the Ward.
Spent months after reading, trying to find that blood!!!

Your favourite Devon beach?
Sand in a pot somewhere.

And finally – what is on your iPod???? [give us selected highlights!]
g i r ly Classical Rock.

Recent additions include:-

BilJe – Greatest Hits
Eurythmics – a Hit
Adele
Cascada

Plus a very resting educational clip of a Book!!

Cheggers

:D:):):D
Stop it, so funny.