• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reading's goal that never was!!

OmanGrecian

Unbelievable. How could the linesman even see a hint that there was a goal? Quite amusing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOiKdny8RoY

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saw that yesterday. Strangest thing i have ever seen. Surely the ref cant have been that badlly sighted, or even the noise from the crowd.

Job Centre for the lino this morning.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Have to say I tuned in yesterday intrigued about it - and yes, this must go down as one of the most shockingly awful decisions ever given!

I suspect there was only one person in the ground who thought it was a goal, and the poor Ref had to accept the lino's decision in this instance.

tisdale 1

Resigned
Saw that yesterday. Strangest thing i have ever seen. Surely the ref cant have been that badlly sighted, or even the noise from the crowd.

Job Centre for the lino this morning.
pretty much summed it up there. how the ref can go with the lino when he has a better view,no body is cheering and not one player thinks its a goal there all happy to go back for the goal kick-which the ref/lino must have found weird-when do players either go back without having a moan?

IMO the ref is just as much to blame as the lino.shocking he must have been fixed for that!

ECFC TOM

John Eustace must be gutted that he has an own goal to his name. The lino and the ref have to take the blame for that one.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
John Eustace must be gutted that he has an own goal to his name. The lino and the ref have to take the blame for that one.
Who gets the Assist? :-O

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Steve Coppell has said on BBC Football website that he wouldn't mind replaying the game because of the decision ...

ecfcandy

ha
it made me laugh!! the worst thing was it went down as an own goal too!!

pal

i bet coppell would, didnt he end up losing anyway!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Its not going to be replayed,

THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE STATEMENT ON THE INCIDENT:

Following Steve Coppell's suggestion that he would be prepared to re-stage last Saturday's fixture with Watford at Vicarage Road, The Football League have confirmed that there is no prospect of the match being replayed.

Andy Williamson, the League's Chief Operating Officer said: "The Laws of the Game give no discretion in these matters - the referee's decision regarding whether a goal is scored or not is final and binding".

"Given this explicit position, the League cannot intervene".

PGMO STATEMENT ON THE INCIDENT:

The Professional Game and Match Officials Board (PGMO) have analysed the incident at Watford where the referee, after consultation with his assistant, awarded a goal to Reading. It is clear that the ball did not cross the goal line between the goalposts.

According to the Laws of the Game, the decision of the Referee, regarding facts connected with play are final and that includes whether a goal is scored or not. The referee cannot change that decision once the game has been restarted.

Football is a human game played at a fast pace where mistakes are made by players and match officials alike. We regret this error of judgement and will now work with the officials concerned to determine how this occurred in an attempt to minimise such mistakes in the future.
On the Football League website, http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10794~1400569,00.html