• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Early season thoughts

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Consensus suggests that you should not evaluate a teams performance before 10 games have been played, well we are just about there with Cup games included.

Firstly, I will say that due to a number of factors I have only been able to take in a couple of games so I will restrict my comments to the general rather than the specific.

A lack of production from the players whose main task it is to score goals has clearly been a subject of real concern to date. As I have said before, this was predictable and should, in my opinion, have been addressed either by making different personnel decisions in the summer or certainly before the window closed. It is still possible to change things through the loan system but clearly PT does not fancy this route.

Secondly, although it is clearly connected with the first point, is our home form. It is extremely difficult to be competitive or more worryingly stay away from the bottom two, without a reasonable home record. At some stage of the season we are likely to go through a scrappy period in our away performances and if we are still not firing on all cylinders at home then the pressure will mount.

At the moment we sit in mid table which is ok. However, should the clubs with points deductions continue to perform then things could begin to get a bit twitchy.

tisdale 1

Resigned
TBH with the squad we have there is no reason why we cant push for a plus 9 finish. so far we have matched teams and if we could sodding score and defend set-pieces and have a keeper that would catch shots we could do very well. so far the signs look good but we must win at home and start picking up points sooner rather than later.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at the other side who came up- Aldershot, I wonder just how many they brought in pre-season.
3 home wins and they are currently in the play-offs.
Oh and their winner yesterday?
Scored by a LOAN (yes Tiz that word is LOAN) player. A striker brought in from Reading.

davecg

19 points off of relegation, 4 points off of the play offs. Onwards and upwards.

kym7224

we still have 1 or no goals from our strikers I believe.
If our aim is only staying up then I am happy with results, but pushing for top 12 or better we need to sort this out quickly.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was pointed out to me yesterday that the last two seasons we have not featured in the playoff positions before the Christmas break, therefore if that is our aim I am not going to panic just yet.

pal

that city are crap! and have no creativity. villa rule! lol

Well-known Exeweb poster
No real worries, if , pre season you had said to me ,with a little rub of the green that we could have been in a play off position, than I would have laughed and said get a grip, However thats the reality. Our squad does have issues, these do need addressing, sooner rather than latter, then perhaps we can start getting the points that, perhaps our performances 'deserve'. Early doors though.

A Slacker

It has been a hugely positive experience going to STJP this season. There has been a real feelgood factor about the place. The crowds have held up well so far but people will stop coming if we're not in or close to the top half. We need to stay positive and really hope that the concerns outlined above are adressed on the training pitch and/or through the loan market.

Grecian1987

Looking at the other side who came up- Aldershot, I wonder just how many they brought in pre-season.
3 home wins and they are currently in the play-offs.
Oh and their winner yesterday?
Scored by a LOAN (yes Tiz that word is LOAN) player. A striker brought in from Reading.
Yes because loan players are superior in talent to signed players. Sort it out Tis, get rid of the entire squad and get 16 loanees! Then we might win a bleddy game...

The bald tw@t.