• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

4-4-2

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I admire Tis for mixing it up today, but did we get found out playing this formation with no recognised wide men on the right or left?

A serious question, and no I wasn't at the game. Just trying to start a proper debate, I am going to guess that this will go the same way as Plymouth in April...

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally, I thought 4-4-2 worked well during the first half, as most probably Notts County have only been able to look at our 4-3-3 tactics.

However, when Watson and Sercombe went off for Logan and Stanno, I thought Notts County knew what to expect from us...

grecIAN Harris

Partly that and poor performances by others. As I've just said on another thread, Harley's game is restricted by having to play wide. Sercombe didn't have the effectiveness he had coming on two weeks ago. Moxey was sh*te and Edwards even worse.

it will take time to settle but i think 442 is better long term

iscalad

We don't have enough pace at left midfield or right midfield to play 4-4-2. Today our midfield wasn't as effective with 4 players there. The get-out ball to the channels for Stans or Watson to chase wasn't there, too many balls played to the front when we have one capable of holding the play or flicking on headers.

We look much better playing 4-3-3.

ECFC JP

it will take time to settle but i think 442 is better long term
I think you are right there, the team need time to settle and as soon as they do then i think we have got a bright future ahead of us in league 2.

manc grecian

I thought we looked more balanced as a team with 4-4-2. However the problem is that the 4 midfielders are essentially Central midfielders.

Harley was awful and didnt hold his position and Sercs is inexperienced but still showed some good touches.

I dont know if Gill and Harley would work in the middle but as everyone on here has been saying for 3 months, we lack a width and pace in the team. I'd bite your hand off for their left winger.

I'd like Logie to be given a go through the middle. Two decent crosses today, one good save from the keeper and the second he flicked on for Taylors goal.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
4-3-3 is the way forward, Logan in the middle, Stanno and Watson either side. The midfield maestros behind them. I would like 4-4-2 but we haven't got the players. And we do have six strikers to utilise and no flankers

iscalad

4-3-3 is the way forward, Logan in the middle, Stanno and Watson either side. The midfield maestros behind them. I would like 4-4-2 but we haven't got the players. And we do have six strikers to utilise and no flankers
Not sure that Watson and Stanno are good enough crossers of the ball. I'd have Deano for Watson and Obersteller or Murray at LB

manc grecian

Not sure Watson is that quick either.

If we play 3 up top at least one of them has to be a natural wide player

Last edited: