• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Long Throws

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
After watching the success that Rory Delap was having with his phenominally long throws for Stoke against Everton I was wondering why we appear to have given up on this tactic.

As I remember Matt Gill does have a surprisingly good long throw and we have had success with it in the past. With players with aerial power like Seaborn, Taylor, Logan and McAllistair we all get excited whenever we win a corner, so how come we have ditched this useful weapon?

Just askin'

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
I think this was covered on another thread a few weeks back? Possibly to do with Gill damaging his shoulder at Darlo? :(

manc grecian

The one long throw we took against Accy resulred in a goal.

simcity

Doesnt Tully have a pretty long throw aswell?

Also Deano has as we saw against Accy...maybe Tis doesn't like it anymore?

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
I thought this at the last home game too, it stuck me as odd that Gilly wasn't trying to launch any in the box ?

Pete Martin (CTID)

I am personally a believer in the effectiveness of the long throw, but not all the time.

When John Challinor was here, he had an excellent long throw but we seemed to be always getting him to take them and this just telgraphs your tactics to the opposition.

I would use a long throw about a third of the time.

Grecian2K

I thought this at the last home game too, it stuck me as odd that Gilly wasn't trying to launch any in the box ?
But if he had been he wouldn't have been where he was to launch the ball into the net!! :D

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
But if he had been he wouldn't have been where he was to launch the ball into the net!! :D
This is true ! :)

But on occasion I don't think it's a bad thing to have in your armoury. As Pete said, not all the time, but now and again during a game, just to mix it up a bit, I don't think that would do any harm ?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The difference with Delaps throw in's are there so flat and quick , much harder to defend than the old high looper.

Grecian_Harryj

yeh i wathed the Stoke game on MOTD2 and i was thinking about Matt Gill's ong throws, and evry time we have a hrow in i am dissapointed that we don't chose Matt Gill to do the long one, they just cause problems in the box.