• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do we need a new keeper or wot?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
No I couldnt make it to this one, I wasnt there! (before anybody starts!), I'm simply highlighting a recurring problem we've apparently got, according to exeweb contributors, and today in no uncertain terms to Radio Devon, that our keeper has dropped one or more clangers! Its no secret that I dont rate PJ and I dont think he's a Football League keeper, nomatter what Mel Gwinnett tells him, but up until now, Its seems I'm in the minority.

Listening to Andrew Barge's summary on Radio Devon, and reading the comments of fans who actually made the monumental trip to Bradford, it appears that our custodian was responsible in part for at least two goals out of the four, including the first one! Are we happy with that?

I'm really pleased that it appears like Adam Stansfield had an excelent game today, particularly since he got crucified on here like he did, but whats the good, when we're still not sorted in the GK department?

In the cold light of day, is Jonah (or Marriott for that matter) really good enough?

dommers

Yes they are good enough.

geoffwp

pete, I just don't think its as simple as that. There are other issues besides this but im too knackered to think it all through right now.

Poultice

In the cold light of day, is Jonah (or Marriott for that matter) really good enough?
Neither of them are good enough IMHO but we now have three keepers and the window is closed so we shall just have to make the best of it.

claude duvall

jones parried a shot which went to their forward and he scored. he should have caught it, so that counts as a mistake.
he also fumbled on other shot but produced a series of spectacular saves too.
rob edwards lost possession stupidly for another goal. dean moxey was badly at fault for another of them. both had poor games by their standards.
which of these three should be immediately dropped and replaced in the squad, pete?

PeteUSA

jones parried a shot which went to their forward and he scored. he should have caught it, so that counts as a mistake.
he also fumbled on other shot but produced a series of spectacular saves too.
rob edwards lost possession stupidly for another goal. dean moxey was badly at fault for another of them. both had poor games by their standards.
which of these three should be immediately dropped and replaced in the squad, pete?
The times we've been over this......

Outfield players like Moxey and edwards get away with their mistakes. Unfortunately, goalkeepers get the blame for theirs (when they result in a goal), no matter how many blinding saves they might make in atonement.

Oli

Jones was at fault for the first one. The rest, no I don't think so.

Moxey and Tully were the worst players for us today.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
When goalkeepers make mistakes, it invariably is highlighted more, looks costly and can prove to be fatal. But it's not restricted to Jones or Marriot. Edwin Van DeSar (sp?) made a very costly error for Man Utd in the Prem today, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet. It happens, move on.

Just a typical knee jerk thread.

PeteUSA

When goalkeepers make mistakes, it invariably is highlighted more, looks costly and can prove to be fatal. But it's not restricted to Jones or Marriot. Edwin Van DeSar (sp?) made a very costly error for Man Utd in the Prem today, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet. It happens, move on.

Just a typical knee jerk thread.
Okay, I'll move on. I just got the impression that PJ didnt have much of a game today, thats all.

Oli

Okay, I'll move on. I just got the impression that PJ didnt have much of a game today, thats all.
He made some excellent saves in 1 on 1 situations. He also had good distribution.