• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gianfranco Zola to West Ham

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is it with English clubs appointing famous ex-players as managers before they have relevant experience? Why are they so popular as appointments? I'd be seriously worried if I was a West Ham fan.

Red the Paper

Banned
What is it with English clubs appointing famous ex-players as managers before they have relevant experience? Why are they so popular as appointments? I'd be seriously worried if I was a West Ham fan.
I think it is a shrewd move Antman. He wants to prove himself before he moves on to Chelsea, has obvious knowledge, loads of fresh and relevant contacts in the games, has a sense of humour and speaks Italian. The game is changing as Curbishley and Keegan have realised and he is used to the Director of Football model, as is our own Mr Tisdale. It works for us so I think it should work for West Ham!

This is a bold move from West Ham, particularly as they were used to employing their old boys. Time to progress West Ham and what better way of doing it than with Zola.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
I think it is a shrewd move Antman. He wants to prove himself before he moves on to Chelsea, has obvious knowledge, loads of fresh and relevant contacts in the games, has a sense of humour and speaks Italian. The game is changing as Curbishley and Keegan have realised and he is used to the Director of Football model, as is our own Mr Tisdale. It works for us so I think it should work for West Ham!

This is a bold move from West Ham, particularly as they were used to employing their old boys. Time to progress West Ham and what better way of doing it than with Zola.
I agree RTP.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it is a shrewd move Antman. He wants to prove himself before he moves on to Chelsea, has obvious knowledge, loads of fresh and relevant contacts in the games, has a sense of humour and speaks Italian.
Exactly what I thought when I read the OP.

finetime

Gianfranco Zola seems like a genuinely nice, likeable person so f*ck knows what he's doing at West Ham :D

Good luck to him! :)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, did i miss something? Is he Director of Football and not the manager? In that case not such a bad idea. I stand corrected.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, he IS the manager, just checked. I think he will struggle in this job. He has only played in England with players of a high quality like himself. He will struggle to get through to your average West Ham player what he wants, it will take time to bring attractive football to Upton Park. I'm not sure the fans'll give him that time of it goes tits up. I think it might.

Very popular players like Keegan, Robson, Platini, Stuart Pearce, Shearer, Dalglish, Gullit (there are many others) find management very tough because

a) they are not used to losing
b) they are not used to heavy criticism

Hopefully Zola, who reminds me of Klinsmann and Shearer in his God-like level of popularity, will need to really, really want to be a manager if he is to succeed and have a thick skin. My guess is he'll do a Vialli and be well-liked but not effective.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Top player and a proper Legend.

One of the best players in the premierships history , pure class.

I hope he does well.

Poultice

Great move for the Hammers, they have an intelligent, articulate, tactically astute young coach who wont throw his toys out of the pram every time the Director of football tries to do his job.

Look forward to a rampant new force in East London proudly wearing the name of whoever their new sponsors might be.

N. Rock, XL...........AIG ?

iscalad

Ginsters have been sniffing around, I hear:)