• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Express & Echo- soccer sight n SJP

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
In todays Express & Echo (echo 4 health section)
is an articule on Soccer Sight at St James Park
As i have mentioned in other threads this is a great service and
Matt Cottons Commentary is brilliant.
I have been going to City since 2000 but when this came in it made a massive improvement to my experince at each match.
A big thank you to Matt [y]

They are looking for volunteers (aged between 16-25)to help Matt as he is the only one at the moment - email [email protected]

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Matt and City team up for Soccer Sight

Exeter City have come an awful long way since the club’s supporters’ trust seized control back in the summer of 2003.

Not only have the Grecians regained their place in the Football League — courtesy of a 1-0 victory over Cambridge United at Wembley in May — but the club is also winning plaudits for the huge strides it is making off the pitch.

So much so, it’s no surprise to learn that the Grecians are one of just 22 clubs across the country committed to working in tandem with the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) on Soccer Sight — a project that aspires to bring quality football commentary to blind and partially sighted people at every professional football club in the UK.

What is, perhaps, a little more surprising is that the young man spearheading the Soccer Sight initiative at St James’s Park is a mere 16 years of age.

And Matt Cotton was just 15 when he first picked up his microphone to describe the action at St James’s Park back in March as City beat Halifax 1-0.

With funding from Soccer Sight — which receives financial backing from the Football Foundation, HBOS Foundation, and the youth volunteering charity v — the football club has acquired radio transmission equipment and 10 headsets.

Within just a couple of months of taking up his new position, Matt, from Budleigh Salterton, found himself commentating at the fantastic, new Wembley stadium as the Grecians took on Cambridge United in the Blue Square Premier play-off final.

“It was unbelievable,” said Matt. “Fantastic from both a fan’s and commentator’s point of view.

“What’s more, I think I should receive some sort of credit for City’s win,” joked the teenager, who hopes to become a football commentator on radio or TV after he’s finished his A-levels at Sidmouth College.

“I’d just taken over from my co-commentator when the ball went out for a corner in the 22nd minute and my first words were: ‘Edwards! And the Grecians take the lead at Wembley’.

“I learned so much that day, especially with being able to commentate from the TV gantry. And it’s not often I get to enjoy prawn sandwiches overlooking the pitch for lunch.

“It’s great to have the opportunity to enhance the match-day experience of all the blind and partially-sighted fans at the Park.”

The RNIB’s volunteer development officer, Kalle Hogh, is thrilled by the achievements at St James’s Park.

“As far as we’re concerned, it’s all going really well — really well indeed,” enthused Kalle. “I must admit that in the beginning I had a few concerns about Matt’s young age but when I heard him commentate, he just blew me away. And the support we’ve had from Exeter City has been just fantastic. It’s a real pleasure to work with everyone at the club.”

In the not-too-distant future, Soccer Sight is hoping to launch a ‘buddy scheme’ at St James’s Park, whereby volunteers will help guide blind or partially sighted fans to their vantage point and remain with them to watch the game.

It’s also hoping to recruit at least one more commentator to ease the burden on Matt.

“We’re not necessarily looking for the next John Motson but for young people, from 16-25, with a passion for football and an interest in what we’re all about,” said Kalle.

Soccer Sight is hosting a workshop in Swindon for would-be commentators on Sunday. Anyone interested in attending, or in volunteering at St James’s Park, can email [email protected].

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do we offer the audio commentary to away fans?

This is really good offering by the club, all 3 Devon clubs offer this facility and only Arsenal in the Premiership.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_soccersight.hcsp

Red the Paper

Banned
Great work by the club and Matt. In addition, superb Echo article

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

This is really good offering by the club, all 3 Devon clubs offer this facility and only Arsenal in the Premiership.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_soccersight.hcsp
Turks included? Can't say I'd enjoy repeating "...and he hoofs it up to...." for 90 minutes

It was great to read of this initiative, especially at a time when the media demonises every youngster (especially boys) under the age of 21. Well done to the lad concerned and everyone involved with this[y][ecfc]

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent stuff, great article and well done both the club and Matt.

finetime

“I learned so much that day, especially with being able to commentate from the TV gantry. And it’s not often I get to enjoy prawn sandwiches overlooking the pitch for lunch.
Good lad! :D

Congratulations to Matt and sounds like an excellent initiative! Well done all round :)

Nik Saunders

Yes!

The club has 10 headsets in total available which are used by home & away supporters.
Supporters wishing to use this commentary service are advised to ring the club ticket office for availability and to reserve a headset. Tel: 01392 411243

Henry

Heard Matt on Exeter FM also, well done, great work. Has anybody seen this initiative publicized in the programme yet

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I commentated alongside Matt at the Oldham Game in April. I very much enjoyed it and it looks as if I'll be doing it regularly this season. Matt is now at Uni so I think I'll probably be doing more games than him. He's certainly a hard act to follow, was fantastic when I co-commentated with him!

My first game looks as if it'll be Derby on Saturday. [y]