• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aiming For Promotion?

00gill78

When we were in the Conference there was no question that we
were aiming to get promoted. I don't get that same air this time.
Lets get the mindset right set our sights high, then if we finish
mid table so be it. Morecombe were only set on staying up last
season IMO if they had been a bit more gun ho they could of made
the play offs. Promotion has been the aim the last 5 seasons I don't
see why this should change now we're back in the league.

UTC.....

londonboy80

Quite agree. In fact there has been nothing that has come from Tisdale along the lines of let's just concentrate on staying up. I think he and the players feel they should and can do much better than that. Indeed, it's been more watch out league 2 than let's try and consolidate - i like the confidence and myself am confident we won't end up with egg on our faces for it

Lyme Grecian

Yep totally agree, lets have back to back promotions,
stuff the consolidation lark.

Ive watched a fair bit of div 4 over the last 5 years during our rebuilding work and got to be honest the top 10 in the conferance play much better football.This is a good little city side a bit of luck no injuries we can make the play offs.There are still some dreadfull sides..Bury,Accrington,Daggers,Barnet and Lincoln and from watching City last season we should do well.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good thread.

I think the issue for most of us that we have no idea what to expect in terms of the quality and strength of what we will be up against. I think it will be 8-10 games before most of us will have an idea of where we will finish.

Good analogy about Morcambe, but don't forget Daggers romped it the year before and struggled...

And Cranchy, did you used to live at Bow? ;)

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wembley is very addictive so wouldnt mind going there again next year.We have had a period of success now & it doesnt stretch the imagination to believe it can continue.

Jim Shepherd

Don't think Daggers were flexible enough in the way they played. Same as Accrington and they both got found out.

We, on the other hand, can play so many different ways that it will be hard for other teams to find us out.
Listening to the 5 live preview of L2 last night when Peter "6 points" Taylor was saying how good Aldy and us had been last season it struck me how different the 4-0 and 1-0 league wins over Stevenage had been.

My only real concern is that we won't be tough enough and will get bullied too much.

As for the OP, well promotion has to be a target, but like previous years is not the be all and end all.

Lamie i did ! please let me know who you are,Dad still lives in Bow.Moved away 1982 lived all over the place but been in Cambridge for about 14 years

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
My only real concern is that we won't be tough enough and will get bullied too much.
I don't share that concern Jim. Since Tisdale has been here we have never lost two league games in a row and have also come back from going one or two goals behind far more than we used to. That takes toughness, mentally of course but also physically - we played plenty of big, tough teams last year and only lost 7 games. We also outplayed Bury for long periods in the Cup.

I think we'll do well this year. Rather than being bullied, my main concern is that our players won't be quick enough (in mind and feet) but I have confidence they will be.

Jim Shepherd

I don't share that concern Jim. Since Tisdale has been here we have never lost two league games in a row and have also come back from going one or two goals behind far more than we used to. That takes toughness, mentally of course but also physically - we played plenty of big, tough teams last year and only lost 7 games. We also outplayed Bury for long periods in the Cup.
Agreed, but it is coming from behind that won't be as easy against better quality, fitter and stornger teams. As Sir Rob said there is not one major difference but lots of little ones and we have to step up to all of those.
Lots of sloppy goals last year, maybe partly due to being more attack minded, which will be tougher to come back from.