• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

This season, I think Bertie...

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will start far more games for us than people expect him to. I suspect Tis may think that we need his presence on the pitch early in games to stop us being bullied out of matches.

Discuss, and articulate your thoughts in a mature and thought provoking way, ensuring further reasoned debate. :D

Antony Moxey

Dunno mate, I think Bertie is used to beef up the midfield and give us a bit more strength in there. In that respect I think Rob Edwards will fill that role more, as well as, IMO, being a better all round footballer. Especially if we go 4-3-3, if Edwards plays will there be room for Bertie to start? It only leaves you space for one 'creative' midfielder such as Gill or Harley.

Interesting question though, and I definitely think Bertie has a role within the squad, but probably not as a starter.

Grecian_Harryj

Looks strong,but he's from France and you have to admit they're not the hardest lot around

Poultice

Looks strong,but he's from France and you have to admit they're not the hardest lot around
I guess you have never played rugby against them then ?

Not sure I can see Bertie as a minder for Manny or King Ted, but do agree that he will play a part.

tisdale 1

Resigned
i heard when bertie plays this season were be wearing white!;)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that was exactly the thinking behind his start at Torquay, however, I think the addition of Panther will push Bertie out of the starting XI regardless of the tactics. If we want a tough battling midfield, Edwards, Manny and Gill would surely be in place ahead of Bertie.

Gozzer

If we play with a three man midfield, IMO it will be a mistake. If one of those three is Bertrand Cozic, it will be a catastrophe and it will mean that we will have a lot of talent on the bench.

Is that reasoned enough?

Happy that Bertie is in the squad, given that he's not costing the club much, but I think he'll only be involved when he's needed in certain games.

ecfc2000

I have this niggling feeling that Bertie will be pushing for a first team place this season, I cant explain it, I just feel it. It's a 6th Sense.

LammieLammieLammie

I think that was exactly the thinking behind his start at Torquay, however, I think the addition of Panther will push Bertie out of the starting XI regardless of the tactics. If we want a tough battling midfield, Edwards, Manny and Gill would surely be in place ahead of Bertie.
Now I find that interesting. I really don't see Gilly as a battler, more a passer, and I am not sure I would class Rob as that type of player. One things for sure, it's going to be hard to keep the all the midfielders happy all the time.

Goz, I tend to agree about a 3 in the middle not suiting Bertie, but in a 4 I could see him starting some games. I think people forget that Harley only played a handful of games for us last year, and that Artus started more.

It's long old season.

Poultice

I really don't see Gilly as a battler,
You want to be careful posting things like that.