• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MyFC and Ebbsfleet

GrecianInWales

I know there's been plenty of debate on here in the past about MyFC's takeover of Ebbsfleet - and even more written in the press about it being a triumph for fan power (even if it clearly isn't at the moment). Some Exewebbers are members, I think.

I've been a sceptic since the start but have followed what's going on there on and off, and sketched my thoughts down here: http://soccerlens.com/ebbsfleet-united-where-do-they-go-from-here/7677/

The main point being that if they dropped the nonsensical pick the team aspect, they'd be able to move forward and potentially be a real force.

What does everyone else reckon? Fleet have got some very good players (can we sign Stacy Long please?) but I really think the pick the team aspect is a huge albatross around their necks at the moment.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting that you describe the pick the team bit as "nonsensical" as that was the part of the deal that attracted a couple of people that I know to part with their £35.

If they drop that, I think there could be financial trouble. If you want to be able to pick the kit, join the ECFC trust instead....

Being cynical, maybe the founders of MYFC never intended the picking of the team to happen.....

GrecianInWales

I've sort of changed my take on the whole pick the team aspect from interesting to daft. The more I look at it, the more questions an problems I can see with it - either the founders could also see these problems, in which case they either chose to ignore them or have a plan for dealing with them, or were completely oblivious to them, which would be more worrying.

Would you have still parted with £35 if Pick The Team wasn't part of the deal? With the right marketing, I honestly think they could have attracted a decent number and would be in a much stronger (and respected) position for it.

I don't think they'll be in serious financial trouble if they drop it, providing they've got a good enough model to whether the storm. But I do worry for the future of Ebbsfleet if the whole thing does go belly up - and despite their FA Trophy success (which, in reality, didn't have a great deal to do with MyFC) the jury, for me, is still out on whether it can work, even without pick the team. For me, they really need to concentrate on the behind the scenes and off the pitch stuff and get the club in good order before anything else.

It is a great idea. It's perhaps a little more difficult in reality.

LammieLammieLammie

I didn't part with the wonga mate, but a couple of my friends did, and they feel pretty shortchanged by the change in strategy. For me, that was always going to be the fundamental, it was the USP of the whole concept, and that's what got people to sign up.

Daish "wrote" to them urging them hold off team selection and to review it in the summer, but now that the summer is here...

Personally, I think he will resign over the concept if it's forced through...

Anyway, time to go back and review the threads on here at the time... didn;t a marketing guy from MyFC used to come on here and paint the rosy?

GrecianInWales

Personally, I think he will resign over the concept if it's forced through...

Anyway, time to go back and review the threads on here at the time... didn;t a marketing guy from MyFC used to come on here and paint the rosy?
I get that feeling too. He's been positive enough if public but the language he uses is interesting. He'd be able to walk into most jobs in the Conference as well, so knows he's got a strong hand. Plus think of the negative publicity - FA Trophy winning manager who's admired by the majority of fans, both new and old alike, walking out because of disagreements with the 'fan-owners'.

I had a quick glance back through the threads. I never got anywhere while trying to debate it with the guy, was difficult to get anything tangental.

I've got nothing against the idea of MyFC - bar the picking the team - but I really don't think it can work in its current guise.

GrecianInWales

Mind you, it could be worse - they could have this lot in charge:

http://www.thepeoplesclub.com

I'd rather have MyFC over TPC every day!

LammieLammieLammie

Nice one!

Still advertising "own the club and pick the team!

Pick the team
Members can access in-depth player statistics and will be able to vote on which team selection and formation is played...

Last edited:

Mackster

Its too early to judge, but the success of the project is based upon members renewing year after year.

"Own the club, pick the team"

Well you don't own the club, you just sign up for a yearly membership and now you don't pick the team. I can't see it holding the interest of the majority and I can see membership severely down next year.

Ebbsfleet won the FA Trophy despite Myfc and it brought a welcome financial windfall, but if you take this out the equation it doesn't look so rosy. Myfc have not cleared any of the existing debt and the club is still running at a loss. Despite the propaganda, there has been no discernable extra support through the gate to help stem the losses.

Judging from what the proper fans say it seems that Ebbsfleet may have had to have gone part-time to arrest the losses whereas now they have bought themselves some time by accepting the Myfc deal. It means they can keep Akinde, Long, Cronin & Opinel, all of which would command a 1st team place at City.

Poultice

It means they can keep Akinde, Long, Cronin & Opinel, all of which would command a 1st team place at City.
Sache over George ?

Are you mad ?

Mackster

Sache over George ?

Are you mad ?
We're in the big league now, we want two players for every position.