• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Masterchef

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I enjoyed the new new format to begin with, but I have not watched this series unitl tonight. I am starting to suspect it is trying to be cleverly ironic and self parodying? But its probably not. They just don't have the intelligence to vary their 'dramatic' pieces to camera, and this hasn't changed since series one.

I still struggle to understand what Greg Wallace is doing commenting on people's cooking ability, afterall the bloke has no track record as a chef.

I admit it can't be easy to invent a dish from scratch in 40 minutes using only ingredients from the 'mystery box'. That is until you see what they have included in the 'mystery box' and even those who have a phobia of the kitchen could suggest a dish to cook.

I have never seen anyone get so excited at being served up a Risotto with Mushrooms accompanied by a Rocket Pesto (sorry and shaved truffle). I thought this was meant to be the country's best undiscovered chefs, and yet we see a Risotto being cooked in the final?!

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still struggle to understand what Greg Wallace is doing commenting on people's cooking ability, afterall the bloke has no track record as a chef.
I believe he used to sell fruit and veg when he wasn't being a Millwall hooligan (allegedly).

angelic upstart

IN fairness to Mr Wallace everyone at 'Wall in the 70's was a hooligan so it is hardly a revelation, Danny Baker was as well...probably

LOG

I enjoyed the new new format to begin with, but I have not watched this series unitl tonight. I am starting to suspect it is trying to be cleverly ironic and self parodying? But its probably not. They just don't have the intelligence to vary their 'dramatic' pieces to camera, and this hasn't changed since series one.
On the whole, i agree with you. I've seen a few episodes and every show in the build up the final rounds is pretty much the same.

It gets a bit better towards the end as they go out and about but largely the format is unchanged from previous series and we always go through the bit at the end where they just can't agree on who should go through. Such high tension.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did they get a trip to Borough Market again this year?

I agree it does get better towards the end, but the list of restaurants featured on the programme this year hit an all time low IMO. Until the final of course where the young lass cooked at Pierre Gagnaire restaurant at 6 rue Balzac...now I wouldn't mind eating there.

LOG

Did they get a trip to Borough Market again this year?
I didn't see them do this but wouldn't be surprised if they did. They usually do. I didn't see many episodes early on though.

GrecianInWales

The cooking DOESN'T GET MUCH TOUGHER THAN THIS.

I quite like Masterchef (although missed it tonight and can't be bothered to watch it on the iPlayer) although it does LAPSE INTO PARODY at points.

It's quite funny watching Gregg and John try to OUT SHOUT each other.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I some times think they would prefer to use a shovel when tasting the dishes...seriously how much food can you get on a fork?

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the programme, but have started not going out of my way to watch every episode.

'That is a SERIOUS pud. I could take that home and marry it.'

'The lamb / fish / beef is cooked beautifully.'

'Beautifully seasoned.'

'It doesn't work for me.'

Last edited:

LOG

Cooking doesn't get any tougher than this, they claim.

Yes it does. I once tried to cook bacon on one of those disposable BBQs which the previous night had been put out by several people ******* on it.

Impossible.

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
Cooking doesn't get any tougher than this, they claim.

Yes it does. I once tried to cook bacon on one of those disposable BBQs which the previous night had been put out by several people ******* on it.

Impossible.
Eww what a thought!
I like the series, looking for healthy recipes so looking to it for inspiration. Not that many low fat recipes though!