• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Olympics

mnb098mnb

I've heard under pretty good authority that London are going to win the vote on Wednesday. [I'm liable to look stupid when it doesn't happen!]

Do people want the Olympics in the country?

GrecianInWales

Really couldn't be arsed. Historically there's a fairly tight line between financial success and failure for countries that host the Olympics.

Call me a killjoy, but I'd rather see the money spent on, ooh, I don't know, hospitals, schools, crime, you know, small, less important things than that :whistle:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we do get the Olympics, I think it would be a good thing. For a start there's all the work on infrastructure that just wouldn't get done if there were no Olympics, and secondly the host country always does better than it would ordinarily.

Given our successes in holding major championships (Commonwealth games, World Student games, footy Euro Championships), it's not as if we're not up to holding an Olympics.

So I think better to have them than not to have them, although I'll still watch it on the telly rather than go and watch live!

jabba the gut

I agree with Moxey. (I'm determined that one of these days I'll slag the sarky git :wink: ).

From what I've read and heard, it seems that if London wins the bid, for reasons of prestige if nothing else, Blair and Brown will feel compelled to at last invest seriously in the Capital's (and perhaps more importantly the Country's) Transport infrastructure.

As someone who's travelled regularly both between London and God's Own Country and within the Capital itself , for the past quarter of a Century, that's enough on its own to hope we get it IMO.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
For a long time I was quite blase about the whole thing, but with three hours remaining I am now quite giddy with excitement.

Roll on 12:46!

jabba the gut

Dunno about you Jase, but my nerves are even worse now it's down to us and the F**** (Mods - sorry about the language - excuse my.......oops!).

Glad the Yanks missed out, although I 've just heard a pundit speculate that a small factor may have been the general unpopularity of the Bush administration. Apparently a delegate from one of the Arab countries asked the US bid team some embarrasing questions about whether athletes and officials from countries on the State Department's "Terror List" would be allowed into the States if their bid was successful.

Considering the way in which we're closely associated with the more er......"controversial" aspects of American Foreign Policy thanks to Honest Tony, I hope our bid doesn't suffer as a result.

AlphaDevil2

Well, few minutes to go before it is officially announced, with only London and Paris the remaining cities

AlphaDevil2

And its........london

AlphaDevil2

Well the best bid won, thats clear to me Londons bid was inspirational, which is what the olympics is all about. Getting people into sport annd inspiring people.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't believe what I heard. Flippin' get in there!

I am still shaking.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :party!: