• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Praise for Paul Jones....

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given the ongoing unfounded Exeweb suggestion thats prevailed (buggered if I know why) that I'm not all that keen on PJ, It seems only fitting that I should start a thread dedicated to PJ tonight, given the outstanding game he had for us at Halifax. I know we appeared to win comfortably in the end, but it wasnt lost on me, that according to our man on the spot, he made several outstanding saves along the way, to make sure things didnt go pear shaped like they generally do. It seems indeed, that Jonah didnt put a foot wrong.

We went into this season needing a replacement keeper, and we were lucky to get the experienced Andy Marriott. I thought PJ would be benchwarming for a season, and wouldnt get a look in. It seemed to be going that way, until Tisdale gave PJ his chance against Bury last week and he certainly didnt let anybody down. Today though, when many thought AM would return, Tisdale stood by Jonah, and the rest is history.

We now have two top class keepers, and I'm assuming that Paul Jones will rightfully start on Boxing Day. He's done his time, and I'm sure he'll prove to any doubters that he's not giving the position up easily again!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jones had a good match today.What was pleasing was his confidance dealing with crosses(as at Bury last week).....I feel this has been lacking in previous weeks..

B

Barmy Grecian

I must admit from what I have seen of jonesy I am impresses, I think the main reason why he is starting to get a lot better is because he doesnt have that idiot playing with him any more, he has got an experianced keeper to learn off of, he is much more vocal and with experiance I think he can and will move on to much better things.

Red Lion

Evening Pete!

2 'cup' matches before that, will he 'rest' PJ?!:D

The mighty Grecian

There have been few rumours about him leaving in January but I really hope that this isn't true. I hope he stays with us :)

B

Barmy Grecian

Torquay????

The mighty Grecian

Torquay????
Nah not to the Turks

Don't worry about Jones' contract. Hes off to Yeovil.

Mogga

I don't know what to think of it all.

Jones has very good potential and his shot-stopping can rival those of leagues above. Yet, last season, he still wasn't ready in my opinion and cost us a fair few points. He often looked nervy and unsure of his decisions. In the summer, we brought in the experience we needed in Andy Marriott. Despite Jones' stunning performance at Wembley, Marriott started - which I definitely think was the correct decision. Let's be honest, his Wembley performance was not reminiscent of his usual performances and one game can't make a player.

After a short period this season, we started conceding a lot of goals from set-pieces. Who is/was to blame, I really can't say, but many have said Marriott being glued to his line has been the primary reason. Alongside this, many had been saying how much progress Jones had been making whilst Andy was Number One; where they got this from I don't know, but I doubt they'd all been to the reserve games.

But it seems Tisdale may agree - Jones has been given his chance and has taken it very very well so far, with a string of fine performances. Has he managed to iron out the mistakes in his game already? After such a short space of time? Or is this just Tisdale giving Jones some games? I don't have any answers but I think these are the issues that we are faced with.

B

Barmy Grecian

I don't know what to think of it all.

Jones has very good potential and his shot-stopping can rival those of leagues above. Yet, last season, he still wasn't ready in my opinion and cost us a fair few points. He often looked nervy and unsure of his decisions. In the summer, we brought in the experience we needed in Andy Marriott. Despite Jones' stunning performance at Wembley, Marriott started - which I definitely think was the correct decision. Let's be honest, his Wembley performance was not reminiscent of his usual performances and one game can't make a player.

After a short period this season, we started conceding a lot of goals from set-pieces. Who is/was to blame, I really can't say, but many have said Marriott being glued to his line has been the primary reason. Alongside this, many had been saying how much progress Jones had been making whilst Andy was Number One; where they got this from I don't know, but I doubt they'd all been to the reserve games.

But it seems Tisdale may agree - Jones has been given his chance and has taken it very very well so far, with a string of fine performances. Has he managed to iron out the mistakes in his game already? After such a short space of time? Or is this just Tisdale giving Jones some games? I don't have any answers but I think these are the issues that we are faced with.
I have been to quiet a lot of reserve games and must say he has been really good, very vocal and seems a lot more confident.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have been to quiet a lot of reserve games and must say he has been really good, very vocal and seems a lot more confident.
Didn't realize you went to reserve games, good on you. What's Stamp playing like?