• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Corners

00gill78

We seem to concede more goals from corners than we actually score.
Are the two connected? If this was reversed we would surely be in
the top five.
Can anyone explain this because I really don't know why this is so
or is it just down to delivery?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good question mate.

I have kittens when we concede a corner. Wasn;t there yesterday, so can;t comment, but I guess Seaborne and Taylor ain't played that many games in the middle....

ChallinorisaGOD

Going to be very worrying against Torquay unless we can shore up at corners.

Nicholson's left peg seems pretty deadly.

yzfcat600r

Its not delivery as everyone does it against us.

Tis had this exact same problem last season and obviously struggles to put it right!

I am no manager but it is basics.

00gill78

You are right it is basic defending. Which is why it anoys me so much especially
when we rarely score from a corner ourselves. Or are all the other teams better
at basic defending than we are? Surely now with 2 ex England defenders on the
staff this can be put right?

crocks

Comment on the radio commentary was something along the lines that City doesnt have a clue on how to defend corners. Histon could have had 2 more from corners at the end but for goal line clearances.

Surely its not too difficult to give the players a specific task at corners, and then stick to it.

Last edited:

Juggling Monkey

Administrator
On Saturday we conceded twice from set pieces with Edwards, Matt Taylor, Seaborne and Rico all on the pitch, all of whom have a good presence in the box and tend to win headers, which just makes the goals all the more frustrating.

Still, didn't our new assistant manager play as a central defender for some team or other? Maybe there's a task for him during his time here...

One other point of interest for me though: Last year we conceded twice from corners away at Forest Green to lose 2-1. The conclusion of those listening on the radio was that it was clearly all the fault of Paul Jones. Those same exewebbers don't seem to have drawn the same conclusions regarding Marriott on the weekend. Funny that.

dommers

Those same exewebbers don't seem to have drawn the same conclusions regarding Marriott on the weekend.
And I think the fact that Marriott never comes to claim a corner must have something to do with this.

malcolms

Comment on the radio commentary was something along the lines that City doesnt have a clue on how to defend corners. Histon could have had 2 more from corners at the end but for goal line clearances.

Surely its not too difficult to give the players a specific task at corners, and then stick to it.
You're right Crocks, defending set pieces is the most basic set up when coaching a teams defence. If you play zone then our central defenders have zones to defend and if you play man for man then they pick up their man. To be honest, I'm not sure what we play at times, I suspect it's man for man but I'm not sure and judging by the result neither are our defenders.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
One other point of interest for me though: Last year we conceded twice from corners away at Forest Green to lose 2-1. The conclusion of those listening on the radio was that it was clearly all the fault of Paul Jones. Those same exewebbers don't seem to have drawn the same conclusions regarding Marriott on the weekend. Funny that.
Didn't see the goals myself but playing as both a defender and keeper in recent season this is how I ask my team to look at defending corners:

I'm not much of an expert on zonal or man-man marking. I just take what I want my attacking players to do on corner and reverse the responsibilities.

For corners, I think about five areas.

a) Near post area: defenders are to prevent ball to getting to front of the goal if at all possible. If you can't get to the ball prevent the attacker from getting to it (within the scope of the rules). Prevent the shot and then prevent attempts to keep the ball in front of the goal.

b) Middle area: clear the ball high far and wide. If you can't clear it prevent the forward from getting to it (within the scope of the rules). Prevent the shot and then prevent attempts to keep the ball in front of the goal.

c) Far post area: clear the ball away from the goal. If you can't clear it prevent the forward from getting to it (within the scope of the rules). Prevent the shot and then prevent attempts to keep the ball in front of the goal.

d) Outside near edge of the box: ready to address cleared balls and prevent shots. Prevent the shot and then prevent attempts to keep the ball in front of the goal.

e) Keeper. This is a whole post in and of itself... catch or clear, communication, organization, shot stopping, ... communicate to player standing on the goal's near post and the goal's far post... when to hold and when to move out for offside trap. Read inswinger or outswinger...

There should never be more than 7 defenders back for the corner...both posts, 3 along the edge of the 6 yard box, 1 sitting around the penalty spot, and 1 further player sitting around the penalty spot or on that annoying person standing in my way.

Anymore than 7 defenders back will cause havoc in the penalty box and ultimately problems for the keeper should he want to come off his line. We should leave 1 player on the edge of the box to pick up any balls being knocked down, and then two players on the half way line. The attacking side will naturally always leave 3 players back on tha half way line to mark our two attackers, the last thing they will want is a 2 on 2 breakaway.

The keeper should hopefully have a relatively free 6 yard box allowing him to either catch or punch crosses cleanly. Either way the keeper should control the 6 yard box on corners, as he has the biggest advantages, protected more often than not by the ref, and the ability to use his hands.

It isn't rocket science