• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs win, well some Exeter team has to!

• Thread starter Cliff Bastins Shorts
  • Start date
C

Cliff Bastins Shorts

A satisfactory result from Drewetts men yesterday.

Despite attaining twenty points by half time Chiefs failed to extend their advantage but nonetheless a good four points against a team who will win more than they lose.

20-13 UP THE CHIEFS!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice Rose Tinted view of everything to do with the rugby Bash, as opposed your utter hatred of all things City, seemingly regardless of the results of either.

According to everyone I know who was the game yesterday it was far from satisfactory, and as well as doing their best to throw away a handsome half time advantage they threw away a bonus point that was in the bag too.

Still, if City were five nil up and ended up winning five four I'm sure you'd be on here congratulating the team on successfully gaining another three points with a satisfactory result, eh?

Ashecfc

A satisfactory result from Drewetts men yesterday.

Despite attaining twenty points by half time Chiefs failed to extend their advantage but nonetheless a good four points against a team who will win more than they lose.

20-13 UP THE CHIEFS!
Do you prefer the chiefs or ECFC?

C

Cliff Bastins Shorts

Mr Moxey, you need to put things into perspective.

Firstly, Chiefs third were playing Nottingham fifth, Nottingham ran trailblazers Northampton very close last week, a win pre game would have been all you could have wanted by whatever score, yes, 20-3 up at the interval they did take their foot off the pedal and allowed Nottingham back into the game, that said, the result was never in danger.
It was a shade disappointing not to take the bonus point but the four points were the main aim.
In contrast ECFC go to part-time Histon and AGAIN fail to get three points when they should have done, no excuses. Histon have plumbers, teachers, dustmen and taxi drivers as pl;ayers yet still manage to get a point off the City, very sad. If you are happy with that, fine, my standards are obviously higher than yours.

In reply to Ash, I follow City one week Chiefs the other generally, were you at Histon yesterday? I have followed City since the early 70s and been to over 70 different grounds watching them, I dont think you can doubt my loyalty, its just that the current scene is depressing and I speak how I feel, I feel that we have the wrong Manager, thought that since his appointment, to get us out of this league, I doubt his tactics and selections also, if this appears negative so be it, thats how I feel and I know quite a few others.

Antony Moxey

No Bash, you do.

When we demolished Stevenage, a team above us in the league, did you congratulate the team? No, not a bit of it. If, at 4-0 up, Stevenage had bought the game back to 4-3 and had us hanging on would you have said it was a satisfactory result and that it was a win nevertheless? No, you wouldn't do that either.

Where the Chiefs are and where we are is irrelevent, because going on your argument unless we are a Championship side or the Chiefs drop three divisions then every one of their victories will be well earned against decent opposition whereas ours will be what we ought to be doing against sh*te anyway.

It's got nothing to with standards, it's got everything to do with your myopic view that everything the Chiefs do - win, lose or draw - is utterly fantastic, yet everything City do - win, lose or draw - is utterly rubbish.

C

Cliff Bastins Shorts

Disagree with you Mr Moxey.

Exeter City over the last five seasons have made me very despondent and probably my negativity shines through because of it.
I am constantly trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but for every good result there then follows a few abysmal results against sides that we should be picking up maximum points.
Obviously you have been following City a shorter period than me, but this is the worst few seasons since my initiation in 1974 that I can think of.
Low standard football against low standing teams, this current side are worse than the Colin Appleton days of the mid 80s when we were shocking but atleast had football league status.

As for the Chiefs, there have been a few dismal displays this season but overall the season has been good hence the league position confirmation.
Certainly not good enough to grace the Premier league just yet, but its obviously a club going forward hence the signings being made from Premeir clubs.
Out of the two clubs, one is progressive and forward thinking (Chiefs) the other is stuck in a rut (City).
I really could not choose between the two but if I am honest then I would say that the Chiefs would get my support first and foremost.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Out of the two clubs, one is progressive and forward thinking (Chiefs) the other is stuck in a rut (City).
So in what way, exactly, are City not progressive and forward thinking? Or is that only measured by success on the field? Results may not be as we'd like, but that doesn't necessarily mean we're not trying nor that things aren't going well off the field either.

I'd agree that we're stuck in a rut at the moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we're not trying to get out of it. Course, the fact that the Chiefs trousered £11M for the CG and we left the league with a £4M debt round our necks has had no bearing on our respective recent years either, I suppose!

Course, the fact that the Chiefs trousered £11M for the CG and we left the league with a £4M debt round our necks has had no bearing on our respective recent years either, I suppose!
The Chiefs were playing to a similar level when at the County Ground. Money doesn't explain everything. What might help is the fact that they've set themselves goals and are doing everything possible to achieve them. Can the same be said about City? Wasn't there a plan to get the club into League One by 2010? What's happened there then?

It reminds me of some hankered political manifesto. Things will get better we promise. Except things aren't getting better. Or, at least, in any way that can be seen.

So we'll just toddle along our own merry little way. After all, it's quite nice being in the Blue Square Premiership (the last part is so much better for marketing purposes): wage-bills are lower than in League Two and if we can can get 3,500 punters in every two weeks what's the problem?

I think complacency is the problem. It always has been with City. There was that one little episode in 1983 when Alan Minter was appointed a director. There seemed to be a sentiment that Exeter City was an ambitious club and not just any old one synonmous with low-achievement and who are only there to make up the numbers (the Rochdales, the Halifaxes, the Torquays etc.)

But it's all amounted to nothing. Bad direction, bad choices and just simple bad luck, perhaps, have made Exeter City an anonymous little club with no clear future.

The Chiefs on the other hand....

Antony Moxey

The Chiefs were playing to a similar level when at the County Ground. Money doesn't explain everything.
Where they? I don't remember the Chiefs playing at the fourth or fifth tier of the rugby pyramid since goodness knows how long ago. We, on the other hand, have never been higher than the third tier of the football pyramid in our entire history. Mind you, the Chiefs were at the CG for an awful long time, so you might well be referring to decades back.

And no, you're right, money doesn't explain everything, but a £15M differential between them and us sure does help.

Newtonpop

Disagree with you Mr Moxey.

Exeter City over the last five seasons have made me very despondent and probably my negativity shines through because of it.
I am constantly trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but for every good result there then follows a few abysmal results against sides that we should be picking up maximum points.
Obviously you have been following City a shorter period than me, but this is the worst few seasons since my initiation in 1974 that I can think of.
Low standard football against low standing teams, this current side are worse than the Colin Appleton days of the mid 80s when we were shocking but atleast had football league status.

As for the Chiefs, there have been a few dismal displays this season but overall the season has been good hence the league position confirmation.
Certainly not good enough to grace the Premier league just yet, but its obviously a club going forward hence the signings being made from Premeir clubs.
I really could not choose between the two but if I am honest then I would say that the Chiefs would get my support first and foremost.
The last 5 season's?? So did you enjoy the previous 5 season's??