• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sir Ian Blair/De Menezes

Bittners a Legend

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but what are peoples views on whether Ian Blair should resign given the guilty verdict was rightly reached over the shooting of the innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes?

Needless to say the comments of Jacqui Smith conveniently skirt around the real unspoken issue of the appauling cover up and attempt to blacken his name in the aftermath of the terrible shooting of an innocent man.

Whatever happened to they "eye witnesses" put on TV who saw him jump a barrier, carrying a suspicious package?

Certainly one of the darkest days of New Labour imo.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That said, there were some other factors which get glossed over about the whole episode.

However, I find Sir Ian Blair as slippery and untrustworthy as his namesake, and think it's a miracle how he is still in the job.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree - he should go on two counts. Firstly in that they killed an innocent man - it wasn't Blair's fault at all but what has happened to the old-fashioned idea that you carry the can for failings in your own department? Secondly the disgraceful attempt at a cover-up when they had known almost straight away that they had got the wrong person.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ian Blair and the Met are heroes, this country is at war don`t forget and at the time of the shooting we were under attack from people intent on murder on an industrial scale!
This was a terrible and tragic accident caused by people who were under pressure and dealing with stress that most of us could`nt possibly imagine.
Give this unfortunate man`s family the compensation they deserve and tell them in polite fashion to go back to Brazil because Sir Ian and the Met are too busy trying to stop the next attack on our country and could do without having to deal with unnecessary "health and safety" cases!

You bleeding heart liberals should`nt be losing sleep over our trigger happy policemen, take a look at this!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4463010.stm

B

Barmy Grecian

I dont think that blair was at fault at all, I dont blame him or anyone for the shooting of john charles, They were trying to protect people on that train, ok they got it wrong, but I would rather he was dead than if he would have been gulity of which he is not than a train full of passengers dieing. I think it does show signs of encouragement that the police are doing something to prevent terrorism they saw him with a rucksack not long after the london bombings running towards a train and the same bloke who they thought was guilty in the first place. About the cover up ok they were wrong and they shouldnt have covered it up.

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont think that blair was at fault at all, I dont blame him or anyone for the shooting of john charles, They were trying to protect people on that train, ok they got it wrong, but I would rather he was dead than if he would have been gulity of which he is not than a train full of passengers dieing. I think it does show signs of encouragement that the police are doing something to prevent terrorism they saw him with a rucksack not long after the london bombings running towards a train and the same bloke who they thought was guilty in the first place. About the cover up ok they were wrong and they shouldnt have covered it up.
So Shoot Everyone That carries A Rucksack :S
Thats Just Silly Barmy
They Got It Wrong, Badly
The Cover Up Was Even Worse
Trying To Justify It By Claming He Was An Illegal Immigrant
Heads Should Roll
Goodbye Ian

Last edited:
B

Barmy Grecian

Oh come on he was a suspect in the initial enquiry, then went and ran onto a train with a rucksack not long after the london bombings ans he knew he was a suspect, now just say he was guilty(we know he wasnt) butr just if he was he would have killed 100's of people in that train, they were acting on what they knew and didnt want to take a risk with that many lives. Ok there overall suspicisions were wrong but I rather they did that than 100's of people getting killed in the train, I am glad that they showed that they will not tolerate terrorism in this country.

Bittners a Legend

Ian Blair and the Met are heroes, this country is at war don`t forget and at the time of the shooting we were under attack from people intent on murder on an industrial scale!
The shooting occured 24 hours after the failed terrorist attacks. De Menezes was an innocent man who had no link whatsoever with terrorism or with terrorist cells. To say we were under attack is at the least twisting circumstances and at the most absolute rubbish, and is irrelevent anyway.

Not only that we have to be looking at why he was shot 7 times. The report effectively refused to blame either the shooter, or Cressenda D*ck, the woman in charge, and in my eyes that is refusal to take REAL responsibility even now for what happened, in what was a callous, mis-guided murder of an innocent man. I just wonder what the reactions of some people would be had a UK citizen been shot dead rather than a Brazilian.

The fact that even at the trial the Met's defence involved trying to destroy the character of an innocent man is further deplorable.

As for the attempted cover-up afterwards, I remember it well as I can tell others who have posted on here already do. Video tape mysteriously disappeared, people were put on TV claiming he jumped a barrier and that he was carrying a suspicious package. It was rubbish. They knew they had made a mistake but continued to lie about it and tried to undermine de Menezes character with more lies. The actions of ministers, senior Met officials and others including our PM(for whom I should add I like) to continue to lie was nothing short of disgraceful.

Bittners a Legend

Oh come on he was a suspect in the initial enquiry, then went and ran onto a train with a rucksack not long after the london bombings ans he knew he was a suspect, now just say he was guilty(we know he wasnt) butr just if he was he would have killed 100's of people in that train, they were acting on what they knew and didnt want to take a risk with that many lives. Ok there overall suspicisions were wrong but I rather they did that than 100's of people getting killed in the train, I am glad that they showed that they will not tolerate terrorism in this country.
Barmy, you obviously are unaware of the facts of this case?

de Menezes was not a suspect, he simply happened to live near one of the 21/7 attempted bombers.

He wasn't actually carrying a rucksack I believe(didn't he simply have tools as hand luggage?)

He had no link to terrorism, he was guilty of nothing but going about his daily life. Not tolerating terrorism is entirely irrelevent.

As for running for a train, I don't know if you have ever lived in London, but people are always running for trains on the underground, and last I heard that wasn't against the law, and certainly isn't justification for shooting a man 7 times.

B

Barmy Grecian

Bits john charles de menez was interviewed by policmen about the failed bombings, he did have a rucksack and he was heading towards a train, to say it was a clous murder that is rubbish, they thought he was guilty and were trying to stop an even bigger number of lives to be lost, innocent ok he didnt have a bomb but he could have, how were they suppost to know he didnt? they just had a massive scare not long before where tens of hundreds of people could have been killed, they did what they thought was right, they saw a suspect on a train with a backpack and they acted to try and save lives, they were wrong but if in another case they held fire he could have blown up 100's of people. I feel sorry for the person who had to make that instant decision they had seconds to act.