• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Smoking

Daughter of I_M

Has anyone quit because of the stupid ban?

I'm actually looking at it from a non smokers point of view now. Working in a pub, I can't imagine someone blowing smoke in my face seeing as I'm 4 days into quitting, yes I have quit!!! And this time was a lot easier than any other times I've tried.
It's because I'm not doing it for me, or the damn government, but for my daughter. Why should she suffer because I can't give up a stupid addiction? I look at her face and that makes me even more determined to do it. The first 3 days were definitely the hardest, but now, I'm ok.

So, how many out there used to smoke, and what were the reasons for quitting?

Oh, and my hubby has also quit, don't come near our house when he's home unless you want to hear us verbally abusing each other from halfway down the street!!!

C

city girl D.O.G

no i decided to keep smoking in protest because of the ban
i know it sounds silly but im fed up with being pushed around by the goverment!
not that i have a problem with people quitting this is just my view on the matter

by the way daughter of I_M well done for giving up

shakey18

Has anyone quit because of the stupid ban?

I'm actually looking at it from a non smokers point of view now. Working in a pub, I can't imagine someone blowing smoke in my face seeing as I'm 4 days into quitting, yes I have quit!!! And this time was a lot easier than any other times I've tried.
It's because I'm not doing it for me, or the damn government, but for my daughter. Why should she suffer because I can't give up a stupid addiction? I look at her face and that makes me even more determined to do it. The first 3 days were definitely the hardest, but now, I'm ok.

So, how many out there used to smoke, and what were the reasons for quitting?

Oh, and my hubby has also quit, don't come near our house when he's home unless you want to hear us verbally abusing each other from halfway down the street!!!
"It's because I'm not doing it for me, or the damn government, but for my daughter. Why should she suffer because I can't give up a stupid addiction?"
There is the greatest reason ever.I have seen people deteriorate because of COPD, a grandmother to a 6 month old, who can't walk 6 yards because of the damage smoking has done. She won't see her grand daughter grow up, or even reach school age. Smoking destroys families, and ends lives.Those are the facts.Enjoy the next ciggy......

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't smoke and never have so I haven't got that problem:):).... I do believe like a lot of things in life it's all about willpower if you want to stop.

Daughter of I_M

no i decided to keep smoking in protest because of the ban
i know it sounds silly but im fed up with being pushed around by the goverment!
not that i have a problem with people quitting this is just my view on the matter

by the way daughter of I_M well done for giving up
Thankyou very much, most people say I'll never keep it up, which is bloody annoying tbh!!!

If I was loaded, I'd just smoke anywhere I wasn't allowed and just pay the fines, that'd **** em off!
But I've quit, and i'm skint, so no rebellion for me!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's great!! I can go into a pub without coming out smelling like an ash tray. The one thing I used to hate about a night out.

Daughter of I_M

I don't smoke and never have so I haven't got that problem:):).... I do believe like a lot of things in life it's all about willpower if you want to stop.
Apparently smoking is more addictive than heroin. So it really does take a hell of a lot of willpower (and patches)

shakey18

Apparently smoking is more addictive than heroin. So it really does take a hell of a lot of willpower (and patches)
So why do smokers complain of governmental big brother tactics?.The ban on smoking has come too late for many.

Daughter of I_M

"It's because I'm not doing it for me, or the damn government, but for my daughter. Why should she suffer because I can't give up a stupid addiction?"
There is the greatest reason ever.I have seen people deteriorate because of COPD, a grandmother to a 6 month old, who can't walk 6 yards because of the damage smoking has done. She won't see her grand daughter grow up, or even reach school age. Smoking destroys families, and ends lives.Those are the facts.Enjoy the next ciggy......
I got a little confused by that post, but then realised what you mean, I meant it different to how you perceived, I meant because she keeps getting a cough, and may develop asthma because of me, but I know what you mean, it wouldn't be fair to her if I got, say cancer or something and was ill.
I feel so guilty for not giving up as soon as i got pregnant, but what's done is done, and I can't change it, all I can do is my best now.

Daughter of I_M

So why do smokers complain of governmental big brother tactics?.The ban on smoking has come too late for many.
Because people don't want to be told they can't smoke. They don't want to feel treated like a leper because they have an addiction.

I feel the latest Tw*t thing by the government, putting the limit for fags up to 18, is stupid. My bro is 17, so has been 'allowed' to smoke for a year, but now, all of a sudden he's been told he can't. You can't just do that, they are actually forcing him to quit, and thats against human rights surely.