• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Punk:attitude

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Currently watching a documentary on More4 about punk's beginnings, and whilst fascinating, I have to say what an utter load of sh*te those bands were.

It might be heresy to say so, but Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, New York Dolls, Iggy Pop: I've heard some rubbish in my time, but jeez what crap that lot was.

Poultice

Punk in general was total sh*te IMHO, but Lou Reed has to be excepted from your list simply for Transformer, one of my all time favourites.

Antony Moxey

Nah mate, sorry, UK punk from 76 onwards was simple fantastic. I still listen to it regularly now on my iPod (I sure there's an irony in that somewhere), and find that it's rare to find any other genre of music anywhere from any age that can match the simple raw energy.

brizzle_exile

That's Don Letts' one, right?

Amazing documentary, Ive got on deeveedee

Red Robbo

Amazingly I agree with Moxers on this one.
Don't think I've seen this particular documentary but have seen others made by Americans about the American punk scene and how they started it. utter bollox, there's less plastic in an Anne Summers shop. (Was gonna say one of your wives/girlfriends bedroom drawers but it's too early).
They even class the likes of Blondie as a punk band!

Antony Moxey

It's also got me wondering on whether it really was the Americans that started Punk. Sure it had the same name as what happened here, and it might well have influenced bands over here, but if you're going down that route then how far back do you go? That documentary last night started off with Chuck Berry (I think), Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis - are they the original punks!?

What happened here in the mid-late 70s with the Clash, Pistols, Damned and other such bands is a world apart from the rubbish the New York Dolls were churning out, and as for the looks, a cross between Rolling Stones and the Glitter Band rather than anything cutting edge.

UK punk may well have drawn it's influences from NY, but to me the music had nothing in common and are two different genres with the same name. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are the same - didn't Strummer sing 'we're a garage band'? Does that mean Ali G would approve? Same as RnB - is Beyonce really the same as John Lee Hooker?

So keep your American stuff over there, and live with your fantasy that you spawned Johnny Rotten - two different animals I'm afraid, as far as I'm concerned. I'd be really keen to here Pip and Russ' views (plus all the other Exeweb spikeys) on this.

Red Robbo

It's also got me wondering on whether it really was the Americans that started Punk. Sure it had the same name as what happened here, and it might well have influenced bands over here, but if you're going down that route then how far back do you go? That documentary last night started off with Chuck Berry (I think), Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis - are they the original punks!?

What happened here in the mid-late 70s with the Clash, Pistols, Damned and other such bands is a world apart from the rubbish the New York Dolls were churning out, and as for the looks, a cross between Rolling Stones and the Glitter Band rather than anything cutting edge.

UK punk may well have drawn it's influences from NY, but to me the music had nothing in common and are two different genres with the same name. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are the same - didn't Strummer sing 'we're a garage band'? Does that mean Ali G would approve? Same as RnB - is Beyonce really the same as John Lee Hooker?

So keep your American stuff over there, and live with your fantasy that you spawned Johnny Rotten - two different animals I'm afraid, as far as I'm concerned. I'd be really keen to here Pip and Russ' views (plus all the other Exeweb spikeys) on this.
Spot On Moxers.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that maybe the only band who were really influential on the sound of UK punk at the time were the Ramones - I know, for instance, that The Lurkers deliberately tried to get a similar sound

Gozzer

Without Television, I don't think punk would have happened in this country. McLaren nicked loads of ideas off them. The Ramones were important as well and the Stooges were a great band that influenced just about everyone - see how many times their songs were covered by the British punk bands. Same goes for the Velvet Underground, who were late 60's and must have influenced the bands listed above.

New York Dolls were pants.

Red the Paper

Banned
Don't altogether agree with what has been written here. Have just come back from New York visitting the site of CBGB's and Rockaway Beach. Also Watched a huge Gay Pride march on Sunday (don't go there!!).

The New York Dolls were IMO ahead of their time and to me the first "punk" band. They were also crap if that makes sense. Velvet Underground's Heroin, Lisa Says, Venus in Furs are awesome tracks and way ahead of what was happening in the UK at the time. UK Punk in 76 simply took it to the next level and shouldn't be compared.

Personally I like both, but then again my taste is eclectic and I am more culturally experienced than all on here