• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

If you were UEFA president ...

buggerlugs

... what rules changes would you be trying to push through?

(1) I understand Platini has talked about having the ball in play for 65 minutes. A little like American football I guess in that the clock would have to stop and start to ensure this happens BUT this way you could waste all the time you want, it would make no difference. I'm up for that.

(2) He also wants to reduce the number of qualifiers to the Champions League from 4 to 3. Doesn't go far enough ... sod the moneymen it should be champions only, just as it used to be. And yes, as a Liverpool fan, I recognise we wouldn't have won it in Istanbul or even been in the competition this season to win in the Camp Nou last night.

Moving on and maybe a little bit controversial ... I want to see some of the referee's and lino's subjectivity removed from the game ....

(3) If you're offside, you're offside. None of this 'not interferring with play' and 'different phase of play' b*ll*cks. If a player A is 10 yards offside, the balls goes to player B on the wing who then squares it for player A to score, how can player A not have gained an advantage by being 10 yards ahead of where he would have had to have been to be onside? Ridiculous rule ...

(4) Handball is handball. Sorry it may have been unintentional, a complete accident, 'ball to hand' not 'hand to ball' ... but it's handball and that'll be a free kick / penalty.

Too much is down to the officials' interpretation and we'll never see consistency until certain areas where subjectivity comes in are taken out of the game.

(5) And finally, you appeal for an opposition player to get a card, you're having one yourself. Actually I'd like to see them shot, then burnt at the stake ... but I don't think I'd get much support.

Agree? Disagree? Any rule changes you'd like to see?

Last edited:

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with all you say except Rule 4.

Rule 1 is interesting - when the prem started, the "ball in play" stats used to be about 27 or 28 minutes per half... now fans are lucky if it is 22...

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I dont understand the ball in play thing....

Surely the ball isnt off the pitch for 70 mins :S

Here to be slated.

Last edited:

manc grecian

Its not just when the ball isnt on the pitch, I think its classed as not in play for free kicks etc. *Regrets not slating Credy*

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

ah....

Cheers Phillip, pretty quiet on the old champions league thread this morning ;)

manc grecian

C*cksucker

ChallinorisaGOD

How would the 65 minute thing work?

Surely you would need to stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play until the 65 minute mark is reached, but after that (the last 25 minutes, when the clock will not longer be stopped) the winning team can surely revert to time-wasting and usually it is towards the end of the game when time wasting occurs anyway so would this help it?

CREDYGRECIAN

:D :D :D

3-0 Barcelona was your prediction Phillip.

Oh dear - The redmen again prove that there best club on Merseyside by a country mile.

Oh yeah JENAS.

LammieLammieLammie

What was the Final Score in the Everton Spurs game Manc? I saw it was 1-1 with a couple to go.

Last edited:

manc grecian

*Logs off*