Match Report: Exeter City v West Ham Utd. Boxing Day 1913

During the Festive period in 1913, Exeter City played matches on 3 consecutive days, away to West Ham on Christmas Day, then at home to West Ham on Boxing Day them Southampton at St James Park on Saturday 27th December 1913.

We covered the Christmas Day match yesterday. Here’s the match report for the return game on Boxing Day from the Western Times published on Saturday 27th December:-

Holt Gives Homesters an Early Lead

The return Southern League match between Exeter City and West Ham took place in windy, threatening weather at St. James’s Park yesterday. The Hammers played Hilsdon, the old International, and Leate, the big, bustling forward secured from Sheffield United, for Butcher and Bailey, and the teams were:
Exeter City—Pym; Fort Strettle; Rigby, Pratt, Smith; Holt, Lovett, Brooksbank. McCann. Marshall.
West Ham — Lonsdale; Brandon. Irvine; Woodards, Askew, Randall ; Ashton, Leafe, Puddefoot, Hilsdon, Casey.
Referee, Mr. W. E. Russell(Swindon).

Rigby beat Randall with the toss, and chose to defend the City end. Leafe’s pass to Ashton went to touch, and Exeter got down on the left. The ball came across from Marshall, and Brooksbank headed inches over. In the next move Irvine gave a corner off Holt. From the flag kick Pratt and Brooksbank were in each other’s way. and the leather went out to Rigby. who shot wide. West Ham then made an incursion, but were driven back, and Hold, although injured the rush, forged ahead and sent across a good centre.

Woodwards received a blow in the face in clearing, but was able to resume, and dick_pymAshton was sent off with a good pass by Puddefoot, but Smith came to the rescue, and Lonsdale gathered from Marshall following a free against Randall. A corner at the other end was cleared, and then Exeter opened the scoring. Lonsdale ran out the verge of his penalty, but Holt was pelting on in pursuit of the leather, and getting it a second before the goalkeeper, plunged his foot to it with the result that it rolled onto an unguarded net. It was a queer goal, and solely the result of opportunism.

Exeter continued to monopolise the play, and once Randall was laid out rushing in to clear from Holt. He was able to resume, and free kicks for technical infringements became frequent. Brooksbank, Holt, Ashton, and then Holt again, were all off-side in turn, and once Strettle made a timely clearance, but for the most part there was only one team in it, and that wasn’t West Ham. Randall cleared under pressure, and Pratt shot wide, subsequently to a free kick in the City’s favour.exeter_west_ham1913

Play slowed up for a time, and the strong wind interfered with accurate passing. Once Holt turned a treble somersault, and trainer’s attentions were requisitioned. Brooksbank tried many a dash through the middle, and once, after a fine forward movement, McCann scooped over from a pass by Lovett. At last West Ham got moving, principally owing to Pratt being out of action, through lameness for a minute. Strettle conceded a corner, and Pym saved a header from Puddefoot.

Exeter were then quickly at the other end, Lonsdale saved a long shot by Smith, and Fort missed a terrific drive from a free kick. The heavy state of the ground was having its effect on the players, but just before half-time the City came with a rush, and Lonsdale was forced into giving a corner. From this Brooksbank headed wide, and then Pym saved after a spirited effort by Ashton.
Half-time: EXETER CITY 1 goal. WEST HAM Nil.

It had been a fair first half, but yesterday’s encounter had apparently taken a lot the out of both teams. Exeter had had far the most of the play so far, and richly deserved their lead. Just after the restart. Brooksbank was pulled up for off-side, a decision which did not meet with the approval of the crowd of nearly 7,000.

West Ham, however, were pulled for off-side the other end, but a minute later Randall swung the leather goalwards, and Puddefoot. scored a soft goal, after Smith had slipped up. The centre-forward almost repeated the dose directly after. He got right through, when Pym saved. Pym saved again, after Hillsdon had been allowed to rush through, clear of halves and backs, and there were two precious narrow shaves for Exeter, who were having to do all the defending. The City, in later stages, livened up considerably, and Lonsdale made some smart clearances. On one occasion a rush by Fort nearly led to a home score.
Final: EXETER – 1 WEST HAM – 1


Exeter’s New Forward

Two important transfers were effected on the Exeter City ground after to-days match. Goddard, the back, who was secured from Lancaster, was transferred to West Ham, and, in exchange, Exeter City obtained F. Goodwin, an outside left, who was formerly with Brighton and Hove, and originally came from Leek.He scored for Brighton last year at St. James’s and was secured by that Club the season previously.He is 5ft 8in and weighs 11st 4lbs. He will play for Exeter to-day, while Goddard will appear for West Ham v Swindon.

Exeter City v Southampton

For to-day’s match against Southampton, Exeter City will play the same forwards as against West Ham yesterday save that Goodwin will come in for Marshall. Lagan may appear again in place of Pratt, and ‘Harding is holding himself in readiness to deputise for Fort, who was slightly strained yesterday.

Leave a Reply